1988 CRX Si

Page 2 of 2

and the whole western Gulf coast.Katrina effects were fairly widespread.

yeah,but if they get moldy....you'll not get the odor out,and it could be a health risk.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

i think that mold "health risk" stuff is over-blown. it's ubiquitous in nature. and you should have seen some of the fungal cultures growing in an ex gf's kitchen.
bottom line: /fear/ of mold is highly profitable. actual danger? how many deciduous forests have you walked through and died? there, mold exists by the ton, not microgram. spray some lysol and open a window if you don't like the smell.
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:41:38 -0700, jim beam wrote:

It's an open forest, not a closed-in car environment. Altogether different.

Damn, you're a dumb fuck.
Dan C wrote:

analyze the spore density - it's not different at all.

so the guy that doesn't know what he's talking about is /not/ dumb? that's novel.
Dan C wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure.
Mold has been around for zillions of years and perhaps the biggest issue is that with all the "advances" in medicine, we've become a dumbed down species less resistant to ambient bacteria etc.
But, I would mix some "new car smell" deoderizer along with the Lysol..
JT
jim beam wrote:

A friend who likes older big cars found a late 1970's Lincoln at the same place I bought my '83 Civic FE. It had gotten its whole front end dunked during a flash flood about ten years earlier.
He had the car towed then replaced the starter, installed a new battery and removed the plugs. Motor spun right over (spraying him with a lot of water from the plug holes). He put on a rebuilt carb, changed the oil/filter and rigged a temporary fuel tank/line directly to the carb. Also put in new plugs. Damned thing started right up and within a minute or two was purrin' like a cat.
JT
snipped-for-privacy@ExtraGrumpyville.com says...

Before I bought the "new" Civic, I was searching the Houston Craigslist several times a day for "civic si" and "crx". One day I ran across an '88 CRX Si that sounded too good to be true, and you know what they say about deals like that. It was represented to be in immaculate condition, one owner, everything worked, and the pics that were posted indicated that the underhood area was clean enough to eat off of. The asking price was $2500.
Figuring I had nothing to lose, I emailed the poster. After a day or two, I assumed someone had beaten me to it, then I got the following reply:
"The car is located in Detroit MI and it is in perfect condition, with no need for additional repairs, no scratches, dings, special marks whatsoever. It has 130k original miles and 40k engine rebuilt miles and the vin# is [deleted] .It has a clear title ready to be signed and notarized on your name. [...] The price is $2,500 including shipping costs anywhere in the continental US. There are no other costs regarding this transaction. We will make this deal only under World Escrow protection because is more safe. If you already decided to buy my car please send me your full name and your full address and I will start a transaction with them. The car will be shipped insured to your location with DAS and you will have 5 days for inspection."
Uh, yeah. I'll get right on that, as soon as I get the wire transfer this nice man in Nigeria is sending me for helping him out.
Dave

Thanks for the caveat.
JT, I sure did check my local Craigslist and there actually are a fair number of possibilities (especially shell wise), at least, if the phone numbers are any guide. Maybe I should not be surprised, given the relative ease of use Craigs List offers? Dunno; I am not really familiar with it yet.
Elle wrote:

Craig's List is one of the major driving factors causing great pain to main line newspapers. Why pay for a tiny classified ad when you can post (with pictures) for free on Craig's...
Also, with the economy headed for the toilet, more bargains will be popping up.
JT
Dave Garrett wrote:

Yet, another varient of the textbook Nigerian scam...
<G>
JT
Dave Garrett wrote:

Here's a couple of CRX models that might be worth pusueing in the SF Bay area.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/633084780.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/630991872.html
Of course, it pays if you can have someone look at it first!
JT
Dave Skipper wrote:

The car is not modified at all. My wife is the original owner and she bought it new.
The car only has 120,000 miles on it. It's a 5 speed. Engine hardly ever takes oil. I've had it changed regularly. I also have a comprehensive maintenance list. The drivers side seat and the fold up part in back are bad but the rest is OK for a 20 year old car. I still have the top for the back and I replaced the back floor area under the carpet with a new cover about two years ago.
The stereo is not factory. It sucks now but I never cared about that anyhow.
I now have pics of the body rust. Honestly to me, it didn't look that bad but I'm not an expert. I do trust the bodyshop guy though and he pointed out two places of concern:
1. driver's side lower door (I forgot what he called it) area where two bolts hold the door onto the body.
2. rear underside left rocker panel where jack support is.
He says both are ready to fail.
I even have two doors to replace the original ones on now.
If it weren't for the low mileage and the notion that someone out there has the skill, tools and place to do all the work, I'd trash it for the 50 bucks.
BUT, I think it's worth more than that to someone. I just want to be sure someone gets it that CAN fix it. It's a great car.
I'm asking $150 or best offer.
If you want pics, let me know. snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
Dave
Dave Skipper wrote:

Buy a higher mileage similar model for either eBay or Craig's list that does not come from the rust belt.
Your car will then become a parts car.
A CRX is worth keeping and this would be the best course of action in your case.
JT
I sold it to a guy who is a master welder who bought cars far worse than mine for a lot more. Got $500 for it and we're keeping in touch. Perhaps when he fixes it, I can buy it back.
It is a great car and I'll miss it.