âś–

That's the thermostat-to-water-pump pipe.

Yes. Due to either 1) neglected coolant changes, or 2) rust, or 3) age drying out the O-rings.
#1 and #3 are most common.

Those hoses feed certain engine controls. They don't usually leak. At least not catastrophically.

Do that. The pipe can be removed once you take off the thermostat housing.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
The pipe doesn't seem to go to the thermostat housing, it looks like it connects to the lower radiator hose. How is the o-ring held in, it looks like the bolt that holds the pipe in place is the only clamp? I looked at an exploded view on a honda parts site.
"TeGGeR®" wrote:

âś–

You are not checking carefully enough. The lower rad hose terminates at the thermostat housing.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
TeGGeR® wrote:

It does? UPPER rad hose goes directly to the 'stat housing on my 3gee Accord...
Add pictures here
âś–

Check again. Follow the lower hose carefully to its connection at the engine.
The engine end of the upper hose only looks like a thermostat housing. It's not.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
The pipe that goes to the back of the water pump on the carb version of the 1989 Accord DX goes to the lower radiator hose. I verified it on the car and in the factory service manual. I spoke to a local honda dealer to see if they have the o-ring, and he said that it common for the pipes to corrode and leak. Is it common? From what I can see, the pipe looks ok, with a little surface rust. He suggested that I purchase a new pipe.
"TeGGeR®" wrote:

âś–

The thermostat housing is the big aluminum thing between that pipe and the lower rad hose. It must be removed in order to replace the pipe.

So long as you can find O-rings that are the right size and of a material that is compatible with antifreeze, you can just replace the O-rings. That presupposes that the pipe will be in sufficiently good condition to reuse.
My general advice when it comes to cooling system components is not to skimp. Too much risk to the engine from skimping. I'd be inlcined to get a whole new pipe, myself.
By the way, make sure the seats in both the water pump and the thermostat housing are clean and smooth when you perform the service, and lube the new O-rings with antifreeze prior to installation.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
nospam wrote:

that is the thermostat housing. honda have it on the return, not the feed like most other manufacturers.

it's held in by the thermostat housing being positioned correctly. the only thing that's sealing it is the o-ring.

Add pictures here
âś–