1989 Accord: Problem On Hills

I have a 1989 Accord, AT. I've noticed that the car has had very sluggish shifting of gears and now it experiences very "jerky" performance on hills. It feels as if the engine just loses power on
hills and then sluggishly jerks forward. It's almost impossible to go up steep grades. Any thoughts on a cause?
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 19:15:10 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Do you think it could be because it's freakin' 18 years old...?

A plugged catalytic converter has often been reported to be the cause of these symptoms.
Other, less expensive possibilities: Needs either new air filter, fuel filter, OEM plugs-wires-distributor cap, and check the timing. I would not rule out the need for a new oxygen sensor just yet, either.
How many miles on this car? When was the last time a tuneup was done? Were OEM parts used?

This is classic clogged fuel filter symptom. Not enough fuel gets to the engine under the load of climbing the hill. Replace both fuel filters. One back by the tank, the other in the engine compartment.
JP

JP wrote:

If it's a carbed version, at least, the rear filter is IN the tank, as part of the pump assembly...