1990 ACCORD LX LEAKING OIL AT DISTRUBUTOR.

Hey Guy's and Gal's

1990 Accord LX 4 door automatic 205,000 miles

Massive oil leak at Distributor. Found original oil seal failed and pushed out of bottom of distributor housing. Not the o-ring on the outside of the housing but the seal around the shaft inside. After a ridiculous fiasco finding a seal replaced it and the same thing happened. No damage to bottom bearing on distributor,all looks fine. Now I am at a loss. Somebody mentioned to me about a recall on defective distributor on accords. Anybody hear of that ? Has anybody had a similar problem ? Is their something in the head causing this ? Failure of rear cam bearing ? I can really use some inputs on this problem.

Thanks John

Reply to
John R Woitasek

check dealer if you can change out seal. You may need to buy entire dist. unit.

Reply to
jjjsan

it could be the cam bearing, but i think you'd be aware of the noise - the whole valve train would be making a huge racket.

even if the cam was a little off, the distributor can tolerate a little eccentricity - the distributor linkage is deliberately slightly loose to tolerate this.

regarding your seal failure, if the new one has also come out, there has to be something seriously wrong. is there side-to-side play in the distributor shaft? my guess is yes, but you need to remove the drive dog to form an opinion on that - in which case, you need a new distributor - don't even waste a moment thinking about any other form of repair.

there are several suppliers of after-market distributors. not sure of prices for yours, but for my civic, they're about $200, made in japan, less than half what oem costs. 3 year warranty. if however, this is a great car, and you could easily get another 200k out of it if you look after it, then oem is the way to go. time to bite the bullet!

Reply to
jim beam

You mean twice the OEM cost. There is a TSB on the 90-93 accord distributors, and they are just over $100.

Reply to
Jafir Elkurd

maybe for the accord, but for my 89 civic, new oem is about $450, so $200's not a bad deal.

Reply to
jim beam

"John R Woitasek" wrote: > Hey Guy's and Gal's > > 1990 Accord LX 4 door automatic 205,000 miles > > Massive oil leak at Distributor. > Found original oil seal failed and pushed out of bottom of > distributor > housing. > Not the o-ring on the outside of the housing but the seal > around the shaft > inside. > After a ridiculous fiasco finding a seal replaced it and the > same thing > happened. > No damage to bottom bearing on distributor,all looks fine. > Now I am at a loss. > Somebody mentioned to me about a recall on defective > distributor on accords. > Anybody hear of that ? > Has anybody had a similar problem ? > Is their something in the head causing this ? > Failure of rear cam bearing ? > I can really use some inputs on this problem. > > Thanks > John

I had the same problem with my 95 Honda Accord. The dealership first change the ring on the distrubuter. For some reason, it got worst. So, they replaced the distrubutor. It stopped the leak. Don?t know why. I should have save the money. I traded it in a week ago for a 05 Honda Accord LX Coupe.

Reply to
cameraguy

it stopped the leak because it was the internal seal leaking, not the external one. the seal is about $8. how much was the distributor?

Reply to
jim beam