1990 Civic Having Problems Starting

I have some questions about a 1990 Civic. I've done some hunting around in this group, and I think my problem is with the fuel relay and/or starter, but I really am not sure and would like some input before I start buying and replacing the wrong parts.

For some time I've had an issue where sometimes after a short drive, if I turn of the car it won't restart without waiting for some time (between 15 minutes and an hour). This happens about once a month.

Yesterday, I noticed something new. Each time I went to start the car (maybe 4 or 5 times), nothing would happen (as though I had not put the clutch down the whole way). I would instinctively "repump" the clutch and then try again and each time the car would start, but having driven this car for years I am pretty sure the clutch was down on the first try. This morning, it was worse...it took about five attempts before it started. On one of the last failed starts, the engine managed to turn over once.

Does it sound like these are two different problems (first being the fuel relay, second being the starter), or am I way off base here?

Thanks, Ram

Reply to
ramshakle

----------------------------------

Yes, there's two different problems. When it cranks but doesn't start, it's because the Main Relay hasn't pressurised the fuel to the injectors. When it won't crank, that's an interlock or connection problem. You need to resolder the Main Relay to fix number one. Clean and SECURE both ends of both battery cables, in addition to checking the saftey switch on the clutch to solve number two.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Thanks Curly,

I will look into these.

Ram

Reply to
ramshakle

Note that BUYING a new relay is unnecessary,by resoldering the present one. Thus you can eliminate that as a problem with only some spent time if you already have electrical soldering materials. (don't use plumbing solder/flux)

#2 problem can also be a bad starter solenoid.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

two problems. you got good advice from jim & curly, but regarding the main relay, my experience is that you'll get a code 16 on the ecu. lift up the passenger well carpet. turn on the ignition, [but don't start the car] and read the number of blinks.

Reply to
jim beam