1990 civic wagon fuel economy

I recently blew a head gasket in my 1990 civic wagon, and after replacing the gasket and re-machining the head, along with changing the belts and adjusting the timing i'm back on the road.
the troubling thing is that my fuel economy was nothing special to begin with (26mpg), but after the repairs it has dropped to 18mpg! any ideas on what could be causing this and how to fix it?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you had to reset your timing by about 8 degrees, your timing belt is probably out a tooth, so you've corrected the ignition timing the other way, now there's two mistakes.
Possible? 'Curly'