1990 civic wagon overheating?

OK, so I had a problem with overheating a week ago, and it turned out the head gasket was gone. After having my mechanic clean out the engine, adjust the timing, and replace the head gasket, everything was
fine and I made a 700km trip with no problems at all. One thing I did notice was that my fuel consumption was up significantly (18mpg down from 26mpg).
I was driving around today (regular speed, and regular outside temperature) and all of a sudden smelled this rotten fish kind of smell. Right after smelling this my engine temperature went way up to the red, and stayed at the red for a few minutes before going through the roof.
Opening up the engine and checking it, there was some sort of leak or explosion of oily water all over the engine compartment. The oil and coolant levels are ok, and the radiator fan comes on, but the radiator itself is cool. On the way back home, the car stalled going up a big hill (from about 2000rpm) for a second and then started again. After parking the car, the engine would emit lots of white smoke when trying to start, and wouldn't catch unless I added gas or roll started it. Any ideas what the problem is and how much it might cost to fix? Could it be something with the water pump?
Thanks! Theo

the mechanic and it should be entirely his expense this time (unless the head is warped and has to be milled - that part should be your expense).
Look at the coolant level in the radiator again - I suspect it will be way down.
For the fuel consumption, that seems typical when the reinstalled timing belt is off by one tooth on the cam sprocket - a very easy mistake to make.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

or the head's cracked.

well, that should have been checked before bothering to change the last gasket...

thermostat could do with a check too.