1990 Honda Accord - drivers door won't open

Page 1 of 2
1990 Honda Accord - drivers door won't open
No trouble with door in the past. This morning it will not open from inside or outside. Everything feels OK with lock and door
handles. But the door doesnt budge.
So what do I do to try to fix it myself. Or where do I take it, a body shop ? I don't like the dealer. For this old a car they want to charge an arm and a leg and it isnt worth it.
sigh
Gene W
Gene Wagenbreth wrote:

Gene, the door has to come apart for it to get fixed. You can figure out how to take it apart yourself or have someone else take it apart for you. You have to figure out where the screws are hidden and get them out.
I did this for different cars, and it is a pain in the butt, but not that hard.
Jeff

Do you have AAA?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

Yes, I have AAA. I am driving the car by getting in and out the passenger door.

Put the car keys on the seat. Lock all your doors and close them.
Call AAA. Tell them you locked yourself out and you need them to open the door with their burglar tools.
The guy will unlock the door but discover he can't open it. You can then ask him to manipulate the linkage from inside the door and get it open for you. Evidently the door is now broken and you need to fix it, and you can't fix it with the door shut, right?
You pay for AAA. Might as well use it.
I'm always astonished how fast they can break into cars. A few seconds, no more.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

Excellent. If the AAA guy can't open a door, then you don't have your keys. Having an open door won't make much difference. It still won't work.
Jeff wrote:

Leave a window open just in case!<g>
Most people have two sets of keys, no? He just "doesn't happen to have them available"

The point is that with the door open, you can now remove the door panel and fix the broken clip. You can't do that with the door stuck shut.
The AAA will get your door open for FREE. Beats paying a body shop or dealer, no? Plus the AAA guys are so experienced at this they do it with no damage to door or trim.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

reminds me of the joke about the [insert ethnic group] who locked his keys in his car;
It took 2 hours to get his family out.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Tegger wrote:

On my car you can.
But why should we pay for this repair when it is not an emergency? By we, I mean the other members of AAA.

So /your/ rates go up if /I/ use the service? I think not.
This is not like government regulated insurance.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

One of the costs of running AAA is paying for the service calls that the tow truck and lock smiths make. If our costs go up, so do the fees.
If you have to lie to the operator and the people who come out to open your vehicle, that should tell you you're doing something dishonest.
Jeff
Jeff

Of course they go up. If enough people abuse the "emergency" feature like this, it's going to show up. This problem exists in the U.S. Real problems with insurance fraud exist.
But people take advantage of the masses all the time. Welfare and all. So it's okay in many people's minds to do as you suggest.
wrote

All right then.
Call AAA and tell them you're NOT a AAA member. Ask them how much to come over and open your door for you. Just say you trust them to get in quickly and without damage, which is why you're calling them.
OP wanted a cheap alternative to bodyshop or garage. I gave him one. I guess I should have considered the morality of the one I gave before doing so.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
wrote

OR...
(And I suppose it's a shocking indictment of my own morality that I hadn't thought of this until now.)
Just call AAA and tell them the truth: You ARE a AAA member. You have a non-emergency situation. Your car door is stuck shut because something broke inside of it. You need to get the door panel off before you can get inside the door to fix it. You trust AAA to be able to get inside the door quickly and without damage and pop the latch open, which is why you're calling them. How much would they charge to come over and do it?
Never hurts to ask.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Indeed. Just like going to the doc's office or hospital without insurance and asking if they give a discount for paying cash.
Many docs and hospitals in the U.S. now do. Today more haggling over prices takes place in U.S. medicine than in the street markets of Mexico.
And please spare me how this is not a problem in Canada. :-)

Screw morality, since it varies with people's moods. My argument is based in something black-and-white: Mass economics which depends in no small part on people cooperating.
We gotta live together. Cheapest way of living together en masse is to cooperate with certain rules designed to make things as inexpensive en masse as possible.
I would very much be inclined to call AAA and ask how much to open my busted door. It is an emergency in that one cannot get out of the car while sitting at a traffic light.
We do have a major safety issue here. I wonder whether Honda might even cover this under warranty.
Elle wrote:

In a 1990 car? I doubt it.
In some cars, you need to have a door open to get inside the door. Not all, though.
Jeff

In 2001 the auto retractor on my driver's side seat belt failed on my 91 Civic. Turns out it has a seat belt warranty. I did not pay a cent to have it fixed. It was not a cheap fix, based on how long it took them.

Speculation is drowning substantive discussion lately here. I doubt it, too, but it's worth checking the warranty or making a call.
wrote

Well, non functioning brakes on a 15 year old vehicle is probably a more "major safety issue" and I doubt they will cover that under warranty...