1990 Honda Accord - drivers door won't open

On 2/5/2008 9:32 PM Tegger spake these words of knowledge:

I seem to recall a popular "Blondestar" soundbite about doing it the first way...

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

Jeff wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

So /your/ rates go up if /I/ use the service? I think not.

This is not like government regulated insurance.

Reply to
Tegger

Ah thanks... For enlighting the ol' grump!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:cviqj.556344$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

We had to use that cross-border compatibility just this past summer.

We'd driven down to Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC for summer vacation. At one point we were at Tyson's Galleria mall in McLean, VA. After some shopping we went back to the car, only to discover the keys were locked in. Oops! Called CAA in Canada, was switched to AAA. AAA dispatched a guy who took an hour to get there (it was busy that night), then was into the car in 10 seconds.

The hour's wait wasn't so bad. We just went for supper at Legal Seafoods of Boston in Tyson's Galleria. We were finished and paying our bill the instant the AAA guy phoned to say he was ten minutes away. Perfect timing.

Worst part is my wife won't even allow the photos of that incident in the picture album of the vacation! She's embarrassed because she's the one that left the keys on the back seat.

By the way, I highly recommend Legal Seafoods of Boston. The food was excellent and the service impeccable.

Reply to
Tegger

One of the costs of running AAA is paying for the service calls that the tow truck and lock smiths make. If our costs go up, so do the fees.

If you have to lie to the operator and the people who come out to open your vehicle, that should tell you you're doing something dishonest.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"Tegger" wrote Jeff

Of course they go up. If enough people abuse the "emergency" feature like this, it's going to show up. This problem exists in the U.S. Real problems with insurance fraud exist.

But people take advantage of the masses all the time. Welfare and all. So it's okay in many people's minds to do as you suggest.

Reply to
Elle

Or, if he's smart, he can open the other door.

Reply to
Nick Cassimatis

He could have been 2 miles away when dispatched, and still taken the hour to get there - that local area can have some of the worst traffic I've ever seen. I can't imagine it the day after Thanksgiving (biggest shopping day of the year).

Reply to
Nick Cassimatis

"Elle" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

All right then.

Call AAA and tell them you're NOT a AAA member. Ask them how much to come over and open your door for you. Just say you trust them to get in quickly and without damage, which is why you're calling them.

OP wanted a cheap alternative to bodyshop or garage. I gave him one. I guess I should have considered the morality of the one I gave before doing so.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9A3C5CE2DE011tegger@207.14.116.130:

OR...

(And I suppose it's a shocking indictment of my own morality that I hadn't thought of this until now.)

Just call AAA and tell them the truth: You ARE a AAA member. You have a non-emergency situation. Your car door is stuck shut because something broke inside of it. You need to get the door panel off before you can get inside the door to fix it. You trust AAA to be able to get inside the door quickly and without damage and pop the latch open, which is why you're calling them. How much would they charge to come over and do it?

Never hurts to ask.

Reply to
Tegger

"Tegger" wrote

Screw morality, since it varies with people's moods. My argument is based in something black-and-white: Mass economics which depends in no small part on people cooperating.

We gotta live together. Cheapest way of living together en masse is to cooperate with certain rules designed to make things as inexpensive en masse as possible.

I would very much be inclined to call AAA and ask how much to open my busted door. It is an emergency in that one cannot get out of the car while sitting at a traffic light.

We do have a major safety issue here. I wonder whether Honda might even cover this under warranty.

Reply to
Elle

"Tegger" wrote

Indeed. Just like going to the doc's office or hospital without insurance and asking if they give a discount for paying cash.

Many docs and hospitals in the U.S. now do. Today more haggling over prices takes place in U.S. medicine than in the street markets of Mexico.

And please spare me how this is not a problem in Canada. :-)

Reply to
Elle

In a 1990 car? I doubt it.

In some cars, you need to have a door open to get inside the door. Not all, though.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Well, non functioning brakes on a 15 year old vehicle is probably a more "major safety issue" and I doubt they will cover that under warranty...

Reply to
Seth

In 2001 the auto retractor on my driver's side seat belt failed on my 91 Civic. Turns out it has a seat belt warranty. I did not pay a cent to have it fixed. It was not a cheap fix, based on how long it took them.

Speculation is drowning substantive discussion lately here. I doubt it, too, but it's worth checking the warranty or making a call.

Reply to
Elle

"Nick Cassimatis" wrote in news:47a9d338$1$1107$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

You got that right.

But in this case, he was in DC when the dispatcher called him. He had to drive all the way over to McLean from there.

VA had a brief "tax holiday" during the August "Back to School" period. We were right in the middle of that. The malls were nuts.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9A3CCB2763A74tegger@207.14.116.130:

By the way, there is somebody I know who follows this group but chooses not to post. To him: We really meant to go to the Daily Grill, but never made it... Next time. And there will be one!

Reply to
Tegger

BTW, speakin' of Boston and food, if you ever get to that neck o' the woods, don't miss a meal at Durgan Park. It's an experience of a lifetime!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:Gdtqj.559078$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Durgin Park

Thanks. Passing this on to the wife. We LOVE good restaurants.

And Boston is one of our next US venues.

Reply to
Tegger