1990 Honda Accord Overheating

Page 2 of 2

There's probably nothing wrong with using an aftermarket radiator,but the TS,I'd go with an OEM part from the dealership.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Ivan, for a bit more reinforcement on the radiator, you can google this group's archives. My recollection is that this is one component for which people routinely and successfully go aftermarket.

For sure, use only an OEM thermostat. Also available online at www.slhonda.com and www.hondaautomotiveparts.com , though it's cheap enough that with shipping, the dealer should be competitive with the online sites.
Thanks for all input for this problem. Now the problem is fixed by replacing the rad. What I learnt here is tape water can never be used for a rad. My rad is only three years new. The mineral dirt builds up really quick.
Ivan wrote:

Well, your real problem was that the water was three years old :)
Seriously, using tap water and wrong antifreeze is referred to as Honda-cide on this group.
travis here, one question, would a faulty egr valve cause overheating? when raining, water on my hood evaporates, you can actually see the steam rising, car is extremely hot and fluid in my radiator is gone after drivin for 2 days. antifreeze is not cheap. i changed all belts, timing, alternator, and compressor. replaced the thermostat and radiator cap, and fluid is to capacity. i have nothing else to check. help needed. Remco wrote:

flutie1 wrote:

Are your fans coming on properly? Did you replace your thermostat with an original Honda thermostat? No abnormal color smoke out of your exhaust?
flutie1 wrote:

The system HAS to pressurize, or it will boil off. Rad cap is what manages that part. Leaks in hoses, block, rad can't be allowed or system won't pressurize and won't replenish itself from the reservoir when it cools. Reservoir has to be full to MAX and you have to check it (at least) every morning when you're having cooling troubles. Fans won't cut in if there's air in the system because the sensors are FULL IMMERSION type. Tap water is called HONDACIDE. Honda premix is totally idiot proof. That's all I know. (I didn't read all the previous posts).
'Curly'