1990 Honda Civic CV joints

My son who lives in San Francisco has a 1990 CRX and the CV joint is clicking. Needs replacement Anybody got an idea what that costs? Just a ball park figure, I know that depends on where u get it fixed, the area,
ect. but anybody had this done? General cost? I had CV joints replaced on an Olds Toranado for $400.00 a side in the midwest- average shop= not dealer. Any input would be appericated. Tom
I think you should be able to find an independent shop who will do it for around $270 or possibly less. Background:
In 2000, for my 91 Civic at 112k miles, Firestone was balancing my tires and told me the (front of course) left and right outer CV joint boots needed replacement. If the boots were torn, that meant I was a short while away from hearing the clicking your son's car has and ultimate destruction of the joint. Having limited experience then, I okayed the work. They charged $195 a side. I do not know exactly what they replaced or whether they used OEM. The boots continue fine today, at 183k miles. Prices have come down, from my reading, due to a greater availability of rebuilt halfshafts.
These days replacing the entire half-shaft is customary, since rebuilt ones are plentiful and so cheap, and the labor is less by replacing the whole halfshaft. In 2004, according to a well-known trade source, $200 was about the average for a CV joint repair. One can reasonably speculate most of these were for a halfshaft replacement. A lot of young car enthusiasts go to a junkyard and pay a few dollars (seriously) for a halfshaft. Then the labor is a couple hours, worst case. On one's own, one may purchase a rebuilt halfshaft from online Honda OEM parts dealers like www.hondaautomotiveparts.com for about $135. Napa and Autozone sell them for about $70 (lifetime warranty), taking into account the return of the old halfshaft (the "core").

Thank you for the information, Better news than expected. Tom. [dad=payer of auto fixes]
wrote