1991 Accord completely dead, out of the blue !

I own a 91 Accord, 120K miles. About an hour ago, when I tried to start the car, nothing happened. I mean, nothing at all. The engine wouldnt even crank when I turn the key. The headlights dont turn on,
and the horn doesnt work either. Needless to say, upon inserting the key into the ignition, the automatic seat-belts dont move, and no lights on the dash board turn on.
This is very strange, since in the morning everything was fine. The car ran as usual, I even had blown the horn at someone .... Out of the blue, the car is dead. My first thought was that someone stole my battery. But the battery is there.
Do you think the battery could be dead ? This would be extremely strange, since there was no hint of that. There is some corrosion at the battery terminals (I thought the mechanic would have cleant those when I changed oil 3 months ago). Or could some electrical connection be disconnected ? Is it a good idea to try getting a jump-start when the car seems completely dead ?I mean, its not like the engine is trying to crank and then misfire. The car seems completely dead. Thanks for any suggestions.
Pg2006 wrote:

Try the horn again. Try the 4-way hazard warning lights. Try the parking lights.
Don't work?
Battery has gone bye-bye or else the mechanic didn't clean those contacts like you assumed. Why on earth would he on an oil change unless you complained of some problem?
| Do you think the battery could be dead ?
mysterios ( Mr know all ) deserve problems

I once defended you from a "troll" accusation because I felt your heart was in the right place. Please don't make me change my mind about that.
Mike

car, and the weather is likely still chilly where you are.) The time-honored first aid for that is to whack the starter a few times with a hammer. No kidding! but I prefer a plastic mallet, myself. If no-go, try a few more times, then look elsewhere. My second thought is for the neutral safety switch if you have an automatic transmission. Same sort of first aid (no - not the hammer!); cycle the shift lever a few times and also try starting in neutral. If a stick, the same would apply to the clutch safety switch but that has already been exercised when you tried to start it.
If the easy things don't work it's time to do some real troubleshooting. If one of those does work, be sure to fix the problem. Both of those get worse.
Mike

Your battery is internally shorted. Do not attempt to start the car again as the battery may explode.
Replace the battery ASAP.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Clean battery cables and posts on battery. Should solve problem.

Another thing that may be going on, is the main power relay, doing research, I've heard a lot of stories about these going bad on 90-93 Accords. Not sure where it is exactly as I've not had to change mine, but a Yahoo or Google search should yield some good results. The motorweek forums are good about these kind of issues as well.