1991 Accord - Oil Leak

I have a 91 Accord with 150k and have noticed an oil leak coming from below the distributor. Will replacing the o-ring for the distributor solve the
problem or is there another gasket that may need to be replaced? I believe that the end of the camshaft is near that location. Is there a gasket or seal for the camshaft that may need to be replaced as well? Any help is appreciated. Thank you, Joe
Joe Guarino wrote:

Have the valve cover gaskets ever been replaced? That's typically a common source of leaks on this version of Accord.
Yes....I just replaced the gasket with Fel-Pro gasket set. I planned to take the distributor out to see if the o-ring is the cause of the leak....just thought I would ask before starting the job to see if anyone else experienced the problem and how they were able to resolve it. Joe

Joe Guarino wrote:

I agree with Misfit, the valve cover gasket is the most likely culprit. When you replaced yours, did you put any ultra gray sealant at the corners of the gasket where the gasket makes a near right angle turn to go up over the cam bearing tower? Anyways, the distributor o-ring is easy enough to replace. Though keep in mind that sometimes the distributor itself is leaking. There's a seal inside for the distributor shaft. Pull of the cap and make sure that there's no oil inside the cap or distributor. If there's oil, you'll need to get a new (or good used) distributor body. The last time I checked, Honda did not sell these seals separately. You'll also want to check for the presence of red dust inside the cap. This is usually a sign of a failing distributor bearing. Again, if you find this, you'll need a new distributor body as there are no replacements from Honda available.
Eric
I recall seeing some red dust when I replaced the high voltage coil, but no oil under the cap/rotor. I still think that the o-ring is bad. I followed Fel-Pro's instructions when I replaced the valve cover gasket....I recall specifically that no sealant was to be used with the gasket. The gasket looks fine....when I put my hand under the distributor, my fingers get covered with oil. Thanks for the reply. Joe

Joe Guarino wrote:

Red dust means that your distributor bearing is defective, and requires parts of all of the distributor to be replaced. In the case of my '93 Accord, the housing, cap and rotor were replaced.
Joe Guarino wrote:

rocker cover gasket. distributor o-ring. distributor internal oil seal.
if the latter, replacement is the only practicable cure.
jim beam wrote:

of the whole distributor

| Any help is appreciated. www.autozone.com/N,311791/initialAction,repairGuide/shopping/vehicleSelect4.htm
Thanks for the help. It was the o-ring....it was dry and came off in pieces. Easy to change...just mark distributor in relation to attachment points, so as to maintain proper timing. Thanks again, Joe