1991 Accord Water Pump

I have a 91 Accord, auto. It will not stop overheating. I've switched: the front temp switch, the coolant temp sensor, adjusted timing, flushed it, put in new coolant twice, put in new thermostat (even took it out at this point, still overheats). The only things I haven't done are: the rear temp switch, water pump, and radiator.

When I start driving it, it will run normally for about 10-25 minutes. After its warmed up with the temperature about halfway, it will stay that way for another 5-8 min. Then it gets to about 2/3 of the way on the gauge and will stay that way for another 5-8 min. After that, it will progressively get hotter (which I never let it do). If I turn the heater on, it will cool the engine from 3/4 temperature, all the way down to 1/2 way at Normal operating temperature, and eventually will climb back up to 2/3 of the way. Anyone got any suggestions?

Reply to
Will

I'd be thinking clogged wore out radiator, or the water pump impeller is corroded away and not pumping much water. I'd probably yank the hose and see how the flow is. If it's pushing water at a normal flow, I'd be thinking radiator. They can look ok peering in the top, but be real clogged up. In a case like that, a new or rebuilt radiator can make a huge difference. Normally, you should never overheat in most any situtation. My temp gauge never moves from it's warmed up appx 1/3 level no matter if I'm moving or sitting still idling for a

while. .It's like it's glued in place. Which is good... :) Thats the way I want it.. MK

Reply to
nm5k

Have you checked for signs of a blown head gasket? They have been very common this summer...

Google for same and you will find much discussion of how to check.

"Will" wrote

Reply to
Elle

Most likely, a plugged radiator. In the old days, "rodding" the core was a relatively simple service but the modern plastic junk is a toss up and often, replacement is the best option. BTW, the giveaway was the fact that running the heater cooled the system down.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

When over heated, look for bubbling in the radiator overflow bottle. If it is, you have a blown head gasket. Same thing on a '94 civic I had.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

Are the fans running? Sounds very much like the problems I have had in the past when the cooling fans stopped operating...

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

Although I would not rule out a bad head gasket out of hand, I am in the camp that feels the radiator isn't getting rid of the heat. From what you describe coolant flow is okay.

I am with Joe - make sure the radiator fan is running. If that's okay, take a hose with a squirt nozzle and spray from the backside of the radiator to the front, then from the front to the back. Sometimes dirt and bugs will plug the airflow that much. Still no go? I'd recommend looking hard at replacing the radiator. If it is the original, it is overdue for developing cracks in the header anyway.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee