1991 honda accord se, not starting

was driving along fine then lost all power to lights and such then when i turned off car, it would not restart. i got it jumped, everything was as normal, 5 minutes later, same thing happened. to narrow it down for me could it possibly just be the alternator or are we talking the main relay switch and if it is the relay, what is the rough price and can it be done by someone that doesn't know much about cars like myself rather then paying a mechanic.

Reply to
whoopster

----------------------------------

If it loses all power, it's usually the ignition switch. They recalled about a billion of them. Look at tegger.com for more about the recall. Checked your battery terminals lately?

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

haven;t cleaned the cables yet, going to do that in the early am, just frustrated. would the ignition switch cause the car to lose all electric power then not start until jumped then act all fine again and then relose electric power and so on? how much is the ignition switch and could i replce it myself knowing nothing about cars?

Reply to
whoopster

Probably ignition switch. I have same car and replaced about 3 years ago. Really surprised me too, car just dead and acted like a mind of it's own. New ignition switch in steering column - No Problems.

Reply to
viking