1991 Honda Civic - Canít get the key out of the ignition

I canít get the key out of the ignition in my automatic 1991 Honda Civic Hatchback. Not temperature related. I can turn it to the left to the I, but not further to the left to the O. When the key is
stuck, the gear shift wonít move out of park and the bong bong noise wonít stop. If I wiggle the key, toggle the steering wheel, pound on the dash, etc I can finally get it out. I sprayed some WD40 into the key hole but that didnít make a big difference. This doesnít always happen, but enough times that Iím worried they key will get completely stuck and not come out at all. Thanks.
‚úĖ
MPMP wrote:

WD-40 is not the stuff to use. If lubrication is going to help, use a silicon based spray and soak the crap out of it.
JT
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
NEVER spray lubricants other than graphite based lubricants designed for the lock. Silicon and other lubricants will gum it up good.

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Any light machine oil works very well. The lighter the better.
Graphite is a poor choice for automotive locks. Great for indoor locks, though.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
‚úĖ
Hmmmm, I've been using sillycone for years and have never had anything "gum" up. Motor oil, maybe but who would use *that*?
<shrug>
JT
Woody wrote:

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

liquid lubes will attract and hold dirt and what gets worn off your key. Dry graphite does not attract or hold such crud.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

======================================== Don't you laugh when you see a car with a trail of motor oil running down the side of the door? ?
The dirt sticks on and you can see it a mile away :-(
'Curly'
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
What is it with guys? I went to the dealer and, after they couldnít get the key out of the ignition, told them, "I went on the Internet and want you to pull the console and check the shift lever position switch.
Well, no way were they going to do that.
So I wimped out and they had it for 2 days and couldnít figure out what was wrong. After hearing the 2nd dayís list of excuses, I went in to stand on the service managerís deak and complain.
On day 4 they call and say, "Our lead mechanic checked under the console. You must have spilled a lot of Cokes on it, because the shift lever position switch is your problem."
Well - DUH ! This cost me 6 days and $232.
"motsco_" wrote: > Jim Yanik wrote:
> [...]
‚úĖ

You are clumsy and you're complaining about the dealer. LOL!
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
In Canada, Lock Ease is very easy to find.
snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
I bought it at Canadian Tire on Friday.
snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Does the transmission indicator light indicate "P" when the key is hard to remove? (I assume the transmission is in P at this point.)
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

There ya go. That's the most common reason for key non-removal.
The sift lever position switch gums up and won't operate correctly.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
‚úĖ
I cleaned the ignition with the brake cleaner and used the LockEase. The key moves much easier but still gets stuck - now 4 out of 5 times. When it is stuck, and I turn the key to the right to start the car, it will turn over. However I still canít get it out of Park - even when I use the "Shift Lock Release" next to the automatic gear shift. It will only release from Park when Iíve managed to get the key out of the ignition and turn it on again. Sounding like the fix is getting more and more complicated. At this point, Iíd at least like to sound a little smart when I talk to the Honda mechanic.
"Tegger" wrote: >
> wrote: > > > >>I canít get the key out of the ignition in my automatic 1991 > Honda > >>Civic Hatchback. Not temperature related. I can turn it to > the left > >>to the I, but not further to the left to the O. When the > key is > >>stuck, the gear shift wonít move out of park and the bong > bong noise > >>wonít stop. If I wiggle the key, toggle the steering wheel, > pound on > >>the dash, etc I can finally get it out. I sprayed some WD40 > into the > >>key hole but that didnít make a big difference. This > doesnít always > >>happen, but enough times that Iím worried they key will get > completely > >>stuck and not come out at all. Thanks. > > > > Does the transmission indicator light indicate "P" when the > key is > > hard to remove? (I assume the transmission is in P at this > point.) > > > > > > > > > There ya go. That's the most common reason for key > non-removal. > > The sift lever position switch gums up and won't operate > correctly. > > -- > Tegger > > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ > www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
‚úĖ

This has nothing to do with the ignition switch. It has to do with the shift lock switch in the center console.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
‚úĖ

Before you do anything else; verify that the "P" light is on when the shift lever is in P and the key/lever is stuck. If "P" is not lit, you need a console switch which is located about two feet from the part you are working on..

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
The "P" light is off. Iím going to the Honda dealer tomorrow. Thanks to all for the help ! !
"Gordon McGrew" wrote: > On Mon, 04 Dec 2006
> > >I cleaned the ignition with the brake cleaner and used the > LockEase. > >The key moves much easier but still gets stuck - now 4 out of > 5 times. > > When it is stuck, and I turn the key to the right to start > the car, > >it will turn over. However I still canít get it out of Park > - even > >when I use the "Shift Lock Release" next to the automatic > gear > >shift. It will only release from Park when Iíve managed to > get the > >key out of the ignition and turn it on again. Sounding like > the fix > >is getting more and more complicated. At this point, Iíd at > least like > >to sound a little smart when I talk to the Honda mechanic. > > Before you do anything else; verify that the "P" light is on > when the > shift lever is in P and the key/lever is stuck. If "P" is not > lit, > you need a console switch which is located about two feet from > the > part you are working on.. > > > > >"Tegger" wrote:
> > > wrote: > > > > > > > >>I canít get the key out of the ignition in my automatic > 1991 > > > Honda > > > >>Civic Hatchback. Not temperature related. I can turn > it to > > > the left > > > >>to the I, but not further to the left to the O. When > the > > > key is > > > >>stuck, the gear shift wonít move out of park and the > bong > > > bong noise > > > >>wonít stop. If I wiggle the key, toggle the steering > wheel, > > > pound on > > > >>the dash, etc I can finally get it out. I sprayed some > WD40 > > > into the > > > >>key hole but that didnít make a big difference. This > > > doesnít always > > > >>happen, but enough times that Iím worried they key will > get > > > completely > > > >>stuck and not come out at all. Thanks. > > > > > > > > Does the transmission indicator light indicate "P" when > the > > > key is > > > > hard to remove? (I assume the transmission is in P at > this > > > point.) > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > There ya go. That's the most common reason for key > > > non-removal. > > > > > > The sift lever position switch gums up and won't operate > > > correctly. > > > > > > -- > > > Tegger > > > > > > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ > > > www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
‚úĖ

Here in Arizona NAPA carries LockEase. I agree - good stuff. Wash the WD-40 out of the lock with brake cleaner before spraying anything else in it, though, because the remaining WD-40 will turn gummy in a few years and then nothing will get it out. Lord knows I've tried.
Mike
Add pictures here
‚úĖ