1991 Honda Civic - Can’t get the key out of the ignition

I can?t get the key out of the ignition in my automatic 1991 Honda Civic Hatchback. Not temperature related. I can turn it to the left to the I, but not further to the left to the O. When the key is stuck, the gear shift won?t move out of park and the bong bong noise won?t stop. If I wiggle the key, toggle the steering wheel, pound on the dash, etc I can finally get it out. I sprayed some WD40 into the key hole but that didn?t make a big difference. This doesn?t always happen, but enough times that I?m worried they key will get completely stuck and not come out at all. Thanks.

Reply to
MPMP

WD-40 is not the stuff to use. If lubrication is going to help, use a silicon based spray and soak the crap out of it.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
Ghislain

Does the transmission indicator light indicate "P" when the key is hard to remove? (I assume the transmission is in P at this point.)

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Here in Arizona NAPA carries LockEase. I agree - good stuff. Wash the WD-40 out of the lock with brake cleaner before spraying anything else in it, though, because the remaining WD-40 will turn gummy in a few years and then nothing will get it out. Lord knows I've tried.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Gordon McGrew wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There ya go. That's the most common reason for key non-removal.

The sift lever position switch gums up and won't operate correctly.

Reply to
Tegger

Reply to
Ghislain

I cleaned the ignition with the brake cleaner and used the LockEase. The key moves much easier but still gets stuck - now 4 out of 5 times. When it is stuck, and I turn the key to the right to start the car, it will turn over. However I still can?t get it out of Park - even when I use the "Shift Lock Release" next to the automatic gear shift. It will only release from Park when I?ve managed to get the key out of the ignition and turn it on again. Sounding like the fix is getting more and more complicated. At this point, I?d at least like to sound a little smart when I talk to the Honda mechanic.

"Tegger" wrote: >

Gordon McGrew wrote in > news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: > > > On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 00:25:26 GMT, MPMP wrote: > > > >>I can?t get the key out of the ignition in my automatic 1991 > Honda > >>Civic Hatchback. Not temperature related. I can turn it to > the left > >>to the I, but not further to the left to the O. When the > key is > >>stuck, the gear shift won?t move out of park and the bong > bong noise > >>won?t stop. If I wiggle the key, toggle the steering wheel, > pound on > >>the dash, etc I can finally get it out. I sprayed some WD40 > into the > >>key hole but that didn?t make a big difference. This > doesn?t always > >>happen, but enough times that I?m worried they key will get > completely > >>stuck and not come out at all. Thanks. > > > > Does the transmission indicator light indicate "P" when the > key is > > hard to remove? (I assume the transmission is in P at this > point.) > > > > > > > > > There ya go. That's the most common reason for key > non-removal. > > The sift lever position switch gums up and won't operate > correctly. > > -- > Tegger > > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ >

MPMP

MPMP wrote in news:946247_abcfa3dfc4497e3fb39e087918b7daa0 @autoboardz.com:

This has nothing to do with the ignition switch. It has to do with the shift lock switch in the center console.

Reply to
Tegger

Before you do anything else; verify that the "P" light is on when the shift lever is in P and the key/lever is stuck. If "P" is not lit, you need a console switch which is located about two feet from the part you are working on..

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

The "P" light is off. I?m going to the Honda dealer tomorrow. Thanks to all for the help ! !

"Gordon McGrew" wrote: > On Mon, 04 Dec 2006

18:25:39 GMT, MPMP wrote: > > >I cleaned the ignition with the brake cleaner and used the > LockEase. > >The key moves much easier but still gets stuck - now 4 out of > 5 times. > > When it is stuck, and I turn the key to the right to start > the car, > >it will turn over. However I still can?t get it out of Park > - even > >when I use the "Shift Lock Release" next to the automatic > gear > >shift. It will only release from Park when I?ve managed to > get the > >key out of the ignition and turn it on again. Sounding like > the fix > >is getting more and more complicated. At this point, I?d at > least like > >to sound a little smart when I talk to the Honda mechanic. > > Before you do anything else; verify that the "P" light is on > when the > shift lever is in P and the key/lever is stuck. If "P" is not > lit, > you need a console switch which is located about two feet from > the > part you are working on.. > > >
Reply to
MPMP

NEVER spray lubricants other than graphite based lubricants designed for the lock. Silicon and other lubricants will gum it up good.

Reply to
Woody

"Woody" wrote in news:dqldh.26158$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net:

Any light machine oil works very well. The lighter the better.

Graphite is a poor choice for automotive locks. Great for indoor locks, though.

Reply to
Tegger

Hmmmm, I've been using sillycone for years and have never had anything "gum" up. Motor oil, maybe but who would use *that*?

JT

Woody wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@GrumpyvilleNOT.com:

liquid lubes will attract and hold dirt and what gets worn off your key. Dry graphite does not attract or hold such crud.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Don't you laugh when you see a car with a trail of motor oil running down the side of the door? ?

The dirt sticks on and you can see it a mile away :-(

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

What is it with guys? I went to the dealer and, after they couldn?t get the key out of the ignition, told them, "I went on the Internet and want you to pull the console and check the shift lever position switch.

Well, no way were they going to do that.

So I wimped out and they had it for 2 days and couldn?t figure out what was wrong. After hearing the 2nd day?s list of excuses, I went in to stand on the service manager?s deak and complain.

On day 4 they call and say, "Our lead mechanic checked under the console. You must have spilled a lot of Cokes on it, because the shift lever position switch is your problem."

Well - DUH ! This cost me 6 days and $232.

"motsco_" wrote: > Jim Yanik wrote: > > Grumpy AuContraire wrote in > > news: snipped-for-privacy@GrumpyvilleNOT.com: > > > >> Hmmmm, I've been using silicone for years and have never > had > >> anything "gum" up. Motor oil, maybe but who would use > *that*? > > ========================================= > > Don't you laugh when you see a car with a trail of motor oil > running > down the side of the door? ? > > The dirt sticks on and you can see it a mile away :-( > > 'Curly'

Reply to
MPMP

You are clumsy and you're complaining about the dealer. LOL!

Reply to
Brian Smith