1991 Honda DX Radiator Change out?

My son has a 1991 Honda DX civic with manual trans. It also has a crack in the top part of the radiator now and needs to be fixed. I suppose the rad
is one of those plastic jobs so can't be soldered. Don't know for shure- I advised him to get some JB Weld and clean the area and smear it on as a temp. fix. Anyway the question is what does the flat rate book say is the labor hours for that project? The cost for the labor goes with the area [San Francisco Bay] so its hard to say the pric off the top. Any advice as to what kind of rad to replace it with if the JB fails. I see the price of those rads vary from about $74.00 to $160.00. Quite a difference Trying to get an idea as to the all around cost of the fix. Seeing as I will probably get the bill. Any advice would be appericated, Thanks, Tom
Tom Allemani wrote:

==================================Even with very careful preparation of the surface the JB will only work for a day or two. It's been mentioned many times around here. That's all I can offer. Just swap the rad. Since he has a manual tranny, it's a breeze to replace, even DIY.
'Curly'

Well here's the thing, He just had the car fixed for a leak in a metal tube in the back of the engine and both cv joints replaced to the tune of $606.oo two days ago. Now the radiator is started leaking on the top from a crack. I advised him to return to the shop and see what they had to say. I personaly think that the mec may have "leaned " on the rad to get at the back of the engine because the leak started soon after he got home with the car. Prove it? Mabey that can't be done easly but it is very much of a concidence. If they will not admit it where would he go to complain? Seeing as they charged him $15.00 for a gallon of anti- freeze they used in the fix I get the idea theat he may be getting ripped. Well we'll see. He is nto a mec but I have been working on cars since the 60's and I think he has a case. Well any advice would be appericated again, Thanks for the reply. Tom
Tom Allemani wrote:

which is a giant pain and involves a lot of disassembly work. i'd want to charge you close to $600 just for that job alone.

cv joints or whole shafts? joints are more expensive. cheapie whole shafts are $75 - $100 each. quality honda shafts are over $300 each.

they do.

unlikely. unfortunate, but unlikely.

dude, quality aluminum safe stuff is $9 from woolmort. damned sight more from kragen. they're not making much profit from you on the antifreeze.

i think the fact that they diagnosed a leak in a place that's almost impossible to access may hint at their being vaguely competent.

They are probably competent. The fix on the pipe was $230.00 thats fine. The rest was the remaining of the $606.00 thats fine. It's just that it wasen't leaking " there" till he got home right after getting it fixed for those other problems. ok I guess just an amazing conincidence, mabey. BTW whats a Kragen?
the main problem is i haven't seen the repair slip and can't really judge what the deal was, as I live in MN and he is in San Fran area so life is like that. Anyway thanks for the reply, Tom. [not dude] :]
Tom Allemani wrote:

coincidence. plastic tanks crack and leak with age. google this group to see hundreds of posts on this subject. all plastic tanks do it, not just honda. with the leak fixed, the system could fully pressurize and that was probably the last straw.

high street parts retailer.

yes indeed.

Yes I was thinking the same thing, And that rad is 16 years old It's just luck it lasted this long. I suspect the whole system May be ready for work. I looked in a repair manual and i see what you mean about that pipe being really hard to get at. Time is money and that would be time consuming to do that part. Oh Well. Dad's paying for it once again. If you have kid's you know what I mean. Thanks, Tom

Wasn't that the mythical squid-beast in the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie? <8^P
Mike

A California-based auto parts place, like FLAPS, Pep Boys, AutoZone, PartSource, CarQuest, NAPA and who knows how many others...

Then d00d! Dawg! Yo! What up? (I can be forgiven these indiscretions. I am 45 years old have have learned them from my daughter, who knows *much* more than I do...)
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Ah! to be 45 again [sigh]

Here in Arizona, Kragen is represented by Checker Auto Parts. Other places it is Schuck's (sp?)
Mike

You guys are lucky down there. Up here in Canada none of those chains exist, not even AutoZone.
Canadian Tire (a sort of general-purpose "dry goods" merchant that also sells auto products) has recently launched an AutoZone wannabe called "PartSource". There only a few around and I've never been in one.
We do have NAPA and CarQuest stores, but they're nothing like yours, being more like small, over-the-counter trade shops that cater primarily to independent garages.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I have a 91 Accord automatic that likely needs a radiator. It has a very slow leak on top. How tough is it to DIY on an automatic?
dgk wrote:

just the same. only 2 more small tubes. you spill a little transmission fluid, but not much. last time i did it, spillage was so small, i didn't even need to top it up!