1992 honda accord AT shifts late.... why?

My friends 1992 accord automatic is slow to shift into the next gear. If I drive like a rocket, it is fine, but if I drive like a granny it races the motor and eventually shifts into the next gear when you get going fast enough.

Is there a vaccum sensor that could be malfunctioning, or could someone have put in a "racing chip" in the computer? I don't know, I just guessing.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

Tor

Reply to
tor

------------------------------

Since auto trannies run on ATF, that would be the first question to help him figure out . . What's the vehicle's mileage? Is it full enough, and what's the color / smell like? What's the mileage since it was last replaced, and was HONDA fluid used? Is it overdue? Does it presently shift HARD, or smoothly?

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

What's the deal with "Was it Honda fluid"?

Reply to
StoneyStude

StoneyStude wrote: >

----------------------

------------------------

If non-honda fluid has been used, the tranny could be 'toast' by now. It's been covered a million times. Honda trannies are designed to run on Honda Z1. The manual says you can use dexron as an 'emergency replacement', but that's if you are in a town where Z1 isn't available. You can't expect to troubleshoot a tranny without making sure you've answered the questions I asked.

Is there a problem with that? You seem to want to skip the most important point for some reason . . .

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

I am the original poster, and I do not know of its level. It has 88,000 miles and it does shift hard. I will check the level/smell and report back.

thanks

Tor

Reply to
tor

Don't bother with the sniff test . . If it's shifting hard, you need to get it changed with Honda Z1, at least twice. Preferably a couple days apart so you can catch the maximum amount of metal filings on the magnet, and to scrape any buildup from the clutch faces. Somebody has put the wrong stuff in there. It may not be too late. It's an easy DIY job, if your friend is up for it. I'd drive it hard between the first and second change . . . . And I'd do it a third time since it has a foreign lube in there.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'