1992 Honda Accord brake drag problem has been solved writeup for the FAQ

I had a problem with my front brakes dragging. Turned out part of the problem was the wrong pads were installed because of a mixup between the Japan version calipers and the USA version calipers. I have a USA
built car but it has the Japan version Nissin calipers. THE PADS ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE. The pads will fit but the fit is so tight that they don't relaease well causing the brake drag problem. I'd like to write up the details for the FAQ. How do I send things in for the FAQ?
Mark
Mark wrote:

with respect, that's a highly unlikely scenario. calipers are standard sizes. so are pads. they are indeed likely not to be interchangeable, but not by a skinny margin like you describe. manufacturers go to great lengths to "idiot proof" braking systems. much more likely there's some other issue.
yup mark is right everytime i order pads they always ask which kind of calipers you have
jim beam wrote:

jim beam wrote:

nope I now have both sets of pads, they have different part numbers, they do look very similar and they do both NOMINALLY fit into the caliper , but the USA version pads fit tightly into the JAPAN version calipers thereby causing the problem...
and if you go by the VIN number of the car, you might get the wrong pads, you have to actually check which type of caliper you have...my trouble all started becasue they sold me USA pads based on my VIN number, but I have Japan Nissin version calipers..
the USA pads fit into the caliper, but I didn't notice that they were not EXACTLY the same and the fit was tight causing the brakes to drag.
thats why I want to write this up for the FAQ.
Mark

Just out of curiosity, why does your car have Japanese calipers?
dgk wrote:

I have no idea, I bought the car used a few years ago. It's possible someone changed them, or it's possible that the VIN number is not an accurate indication of the type of calipers that were oringinally installed .. the message is, when buying new pads, check the actual calipers, don't go by the VIN number...
The USA calipers have caliper pins that thread directly into the threaded caliper ears. The JAPAN calipers have non threaded ears and a small bolt is used that threads into the calier pin. Or you can tell by the manufacterer's name embossed on the caliper. Mine were Nissin.
Mark
Mark wrote:

are both pads from the same manufacturer and/or are they aftermarket?

Email me.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ