1993 Prelude fuel economy problems

I started having this problem quite a while ago. Now, since it got cold outside it became even worse. I am getting at least 30% drop in my MPG. On average I got about 24 MPG during normal highway and city driving. Now i get about 17 MPG. Recently I did full maintance on it. I have changed timing belt, spark plugs, wires etc. I have not noticed any changes in the fuel economy before and after my car got repaired. My check engine light is off. In the morning car starts normally.

What should I check? Please advise. Thanks

1993 Prelude 4WS 2.3L engine 175K miles manual
Reply to
vkutsevich

=================================

If you're in Alaska, it might be normal. Are you warming it up according to the owner's manual?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

I am in VA. Every morning I warm up my car for about 2-3 min and then drive slowly until engine reaches the normal temperature.

Reply to
vkutsevich

Consider everything listed at

Take seriously the counsel to use OEM for certain parts.

I'd probably replace the PCV valve first.

Reply to
Elle

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Air filter?

Fuel mileage typically drops in winter temps. Northern gas stations change their fuel mixtures in winter,too.

are you keeping your tires inflated properly?

you could also need a tranny fluid replacement. Are you using the right engine oil grade? like a 5W30 if that's what's called for for your model.

maybe a lazy O2 sensor? they can get "lazy" and not trigger a "check engine" light. They supposedly are only good for around 60-100K miles. OEM sensors are best.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thanks for the tips guys!