1994-1997 Honda Accord & Goodyear Assurance (Comfortred & Tripletred tires)

I bought a set of Goodyear Comfortred tires for my 97 Accord at 135K miles, based on good reviews and advice from a local tire shop. They never felt right. The ride can be squishy and harsh at the same time with the ride extremely sensitive to air pressure. In a weird way, I feel every inconsistancy in the road at low speeds. As the tires aged (now 30K on them), the performance is substantially worse. Even though there is life left to the tires, I am considering replacing them. I really would like to try the Tripletreds since they are Consumer Reports top pick, but I am afraid they will perform much like the Comfortreds. To anyone who has either of these tires on their 94-97 Accord please share your opinions. Thanks

Reply to
techman41973

opinions? sure! you buy from a manufacturer that's about 20 years behind the curve on tire technology once, and now you're contemplating doing it again? i have the opinion that your judgment is impaired.

go with the manufacturers that have proven records in bringing innovation & technology to market. michelin and then continental lead the pack by some margin. then come the japanese. domestic producers? much as i support [and even over-pay for] domestic products if given a reasonable choice, domestic tires are simply not on my list - there's too much at stake.

Reply to
jim beam

Michelin = good (French) tires, very overpriced.

Continental = mediocre IMHO

THEN Jap? Can hardly believe you threw Bridgestone, Yokohama and others in the weeds so cavalierly.

Tire Rack ratings show the Tripletred to be very superior to Comfortred.

Could be that the Comfortred tires don't ride well over rough surfaces because the struts need replacing.

Reply to
jmattis

from what i can see, michelin put /way/ more money into r&d than anyone else. it's years ago now, but they were first to market with steel belted radials, first with asymmetric treads, and more recently, first with silica rubber compounds...

continental are up there with the silica rubber technology. i have ch95's on my civic right now and they're pretty good. yes, i've read all the negative reviews on those tires, but they've been just dandy in my experience. i have about 20k on them and they're comfy, very stable, grip well both wet & dry.

they're ok, but they're only just starting to catch up to the newer classes of compounds. that's a 10 year lag!

and tire rack has /no/ interest in promoting certain tires when compensated appropriately by their manufacturer... you know that when you go to your local supermarket, certain brands /pay/ for shelf space, right? well, i hate to break it to you, but same thing happens in the tire biz. have you ever wondered why tire rack don't they carry other brands like toyo?

Reply to
jim beam

I can see no reason to suspect that Consumer Reports had an ulterior motive in rating the Assurance TripleTreds at the top of their recent tests. Those results motivated us to put a set on my wife's '97 Odyssey, and we like them much better than the Pirelli 400 Tourings they replaced. YMMV, of course.

Reply to
ol_paul

IMHO they didn't put much of that technology into the OEM Michelins that came on my 2004 Accord LX . Just giving the car a little gas from a flat standstill on dry pavement churps the tires. I find it hard to believe Honda put such crappy tires on their cars.

The OEM Michelins that came on my 95 Dodge Intrepid were considerably better than the oems on the Honda.

Reply to
pj

Maybe it is more the case of the Intrepid not having enough power to spin the wheels. {;^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

It was more that the &@^*%!!! Intrepid didn't stay running long enough to spin the wheels. :-(

I've never had a less reliable car than that Dodge, and I've owned (2)

1960's British cars (a '61 Bugeye Sprite and a '69 E-Type Jaguar), (2) Fiat 124's, and (1) Peugeot. The Dodge, I bought brand new, and all of the others were quite used when I acquired them. The Jag probably ran a distant 2nd in the unreliability race.

After fighting to put 90k miles on the Intrepuke (and breaking the transmission twice along with a whole host of other failures), I finally decided that reliability was the main factor in selecting my next car. It was between an Accord and a Camry. The Accord won out because the Camry's steering wasn't quite as responsive as the Accord's.

pj

Reply to
pj