1994 Honda Civic Stumbling

Page 2 of 2

Oops, sorry. The 94 Sensors seem to be far less for any Civic that is not a VX.
Still, this price beats www.hondaautomotiveparts.com , at $340 + s/h.

If after performing a tuneup (new plugs, possibly new ignition wires, new distributor cap and rotor, new air filter, new fuel filter, check timing), the stumbling and/or poor gas mileage continues, I would consider a new O2 sensor.

Yes it does. The usual rightie-tightie lefty-loosy threads.

IIRC sometimes it's very tight. I have used a pair of pliers on its end to get a good grip.
Might be a good idea to buy a spare from your dealer in advance in case it does break. Though I haven't heard of one breaking.

Leave the passenger car fan off.

I would perform (and do perform) the bleed with the cap completely off. I too noticed a similar discrepancy between what's in my Chilton's manual and what's in my owner's manual for this procedure. I see the service manuals at the site below say to leave the cap completely off for the CRX. (I think the Concerto manual has a typ-o on this point.)
It makes more sense to me to have the system under the lowest pressure possible so as to encourage air to escape it.

Try the Concerto manual at http://www.honda.co.uk/car/owner/workshop.html , under "Fuel and Emissions" then under "Idle control system," for other things to check, especially the Electronic Air Control Valve. This group gets a few reports of this failing every year (assuming the air purge above doesn't fix the problem).
Can you clarify: Is the car both stumbling while accelerating and has an erratic idle?

I meant the "passenger compartment blower" should be left off.
Elle wrote: ..... Can you clarify: Is the car both stumbling while accelerating and has an erratic idle?
Acceleration is fine for a VX. It's sitting at a light, or stop sign with all accessories off. The car doesn't die, but the idle tends to drop low enough that I think it will. Turning the fan on to it's lowest setting stops this, but thats just masking the problem.
I bought it in August. So far, I've replaced the plugs & wires with OE. Put on an after market fuel filter. Honda dealer replaced the timing belt & water pump. I've added an after market cruise control. Not sure if it would cause any trouble. I've had them on all my other 3 Civics. Just passed 200K on a trip to Texas. 40+ MPG since I bought it.
I went ahead & replaced the Antifreeze today. Careful use of some water pump pliers loosened the drain valve. I'll keep a close watch on the overflow reservoir this week. 30+ miles each way to work, so hopefully any remaining air will be purged.

This doesn't sound like the oxygen sensor.
It is worth checking the ignition coil, especially if this occurs after the engine is warmed up, like after 20 minutes of driving. An older ignition coil will be persnickety at idle, especially at warmup. Ultimately it will fail completely.
See info on checks you can do on the coil at http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html#badcoil

I would replace the cap and rotor, too.
Put on an after market fuel filter. Honda

I'm not sure that's the same as getting the car temp up high enough to get the fan to come on twice, with the rad cap off.
I changed my 91 Civic's thermostat in March 04 and did not do a proper purge. I started having idle problems around July or so. I found the cooling lines to the EACV empty. It seems to be a high spot. A proper purge fixed the problem.
snipped-for-privacy@sgintl.com wrote:

You haven't indicated your transmission. Auto or manual?
Might be an EGR valve sticking partly open. Have you checked for this?
Hugo Schmeisser wrote:

The car has no EGR system. The car has a manual 5 speed transmission.
- JR
I've got a '90 Civic doing the same thing. I was thinking that my timing wasn't advancing right. Anybody know what makes the timing advance? Did you try running the car with a jumper wire in the connector for testing the timing? Would that show anything?
-supa