1995 Honda SRS light remains after reset.

My 132K miles 1995 Accord's SRS light is on. After performing the task to reset the SRS light, the light failed to extinguish. The SRS light failed to extinguish at any time during the reset procedure. I now believe perhaps a real problem with the SRS exists, though I can't find any details here to help isolate the problem further. It appears that most people get away with a simple reset. Can someone provide some detailed ideas on continuing the troubleshooting from this stage? Should I pick up a shop manual and take it from there, or can someone please provide detailed steps to move forward and help isolate the problem. I'm willing to try before giving up and visiting the shop. Anybody? Thanks.

Reply to
paul.rigatti

pulldatrigger

I had the same problem with my Lada. Try the following steps:

  1. Spray clutch cleaner all over the air filiter
  2. turn car on and get the tac to red line, hold it here for 5 minutes
  3. while at red line pull the ebrake up and down 2 times
  4. while at red line disconnect the batt
  5. while at red line turn auto off.

Try this out before you pull the trigger on a new ride!

-me

Reply to
pulldatrigger

That is the worst advice I've seen in a long time. Trolling should be more subtle.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks 'pulldatrigger'.

Any real advice out there? The ECU code was pulled by means of shorting the service connector and watching the 'check engine' light; the check engine light remained solid. Does this mean anything or is this the default reading when there aren't any error codes?

Is there another way to pull the SRS codes?

What else can be done to further isolate the problem?

The SRS light remains lit, even after SRS light restting.

1995 Accord, 132K miles.
Reply to
paul.rigatti

Bro, if you need some clutch cleaner drop me some mail, I have some. There are 2 schools of thought on the clutch cleaner, I like the 3rd!

-me

Reply to
pulldatrigger

I didn't think I'd saved it, but I did... try this link:

to faqfarm. Two answers, and the one about the seat belt sensors may help. Sadly, the other answer was from somebody in your situation (a 1995 Accord) and the dealer was telling him it was a computer failure. I'm dubious. Unfortunately, I don't know much at all about SRS systems.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks Michael. Here's what I have so far. I'm unsuccessful in pulling the SRS DTC's which would definitely help pin pointing the problem. It seems like its not possible to do so on a 95 Accord. According to this link, the 94 Accords don't use SRS DTCs, so perhaps it's the same case for my 95.

I found an SRS Control Unit online selling for $40. I'd like to do a bit more troubleshooting before I pull the trigger on buying this SRS computer, but I'm not sure where to start.

Reply to
paul.rigatti

I have the Helm for my daughter's '93, and it warns not to try to make the voltage measurements without using a test harness. Then it has a matrix that covers a page and a half to interpret the meanings.

OTOH, your time is worth something and checking the inputs could be more trouble than $40... depending on your situation. I don't have experience with SRS computers, but I'm aware ECUs are condemned far more often than they are really responsible so the same may well be true of SRS units. My gut tells me the sensors are probably better suspects.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee