1996 Accord ABS disable

Searched google and this group and couldn't find out how to do it. If I missed it, feel free to link me to a spot that describes how.

I know the pros and cons of disabling ABS. Please don't preach about why doing so is dangerous, etc.

That said, how would I go about disabling ABS on my 1996 Honda Accord EX? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
JasonDupuy

I won't preach to you. But I will state that if you disable the ABS in your vehicle, your vehicle will not be legal on the road.

Reply to
Brian Smith

----------------------------------

A lot of Accords and Odyssey's are illegal on the road already. Search tegger.com to see if the (disable) answer is in there. It's not always that hard to just fix the ABS. I got mine going without spending the $1,000.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

do you have a citation for that?

Reply to
jim beam

I never have received a citation for operating an illegal vehicle on the road, Jim. I don't have the time to look up the section of the MVA now, but if you want to look for the appropriate section here is the link for the site;

. Here (as in many jurisdictions) all equipment on a vehicle must be functional or else the vehicle is not capable of passing a motor vehicle safety inspection. At which point the driver will receive a citation and the vehicle will have to be towed to a repair facility.

Reply to
Brian Smith

a citation is a reference, like "show me where you got that information".

searching that link for "abs" or "a.b.s." or "a. b. s." or "antilock" or "anti-lock" or "anti lock" shows nothing. the relevant braking section reads:

***

"Brakes

181 (1) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and to hold the vehicle, having two separate means of application, each of which means shall be effective to apply brakes to at least two wheels, and so constructed that no part which is liable to failure shall be common to the two.

(2) Every motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one brake.

(3) Every motorcycle shall be equipped with a braking system capable of being operated on not fewer than two wheels where the motorcycle was originally equipped with such a braking system or where the motorcycle was sold new after the first day of June, 1972.

(4) All such brakes shall be maintained in good working order and shall conform to regulations which may from time to time be made by the Department, and any peace officer, or any officer appointed to carry out this Act may at any time inspect, or cause to be inspected the brakes of any motor vehicle on the highway, and may, if the brakes do not conform to the regulations of the Department, require the driver of the motor vehicle to proceed forthwith to make or to have brakes made to comply with those regulations.

(5) Any combination of motor vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer or other vehicle shall be equipped with brakes upon one or more of the vehicles adequate to stop the combination of vehicles within the distance specified for motor vehicles under regulations that may be made by the Department, and the Department may, by regulations, require any type, class or weight of trailer or semi-trailer to be equipped with brakes to be approved by the Department.

(6) The Minister, with the approval of the Governor in Council, may make regulations respecting the standards for hydraulic brake fluid and making it an offence to sell, offer for sale, or possess hydraulic brake fluid that does not conform to the standards. R.S., c. 293, s. 181."

***

so again, it would be good if you can share where you got the "illegal" info from. thanks.

Reply to
jim beam

Only want to know how to do it, not whether someone approves of it or not. Thanks. :)

Reply to
JasonDupuy

jim beam

Thanks. I ran across that very informative Tegger FAQ before, but I was hoping for a more permanent fix- a "fool with it for an hour and be done" type of fix rather than an "every time I start the car" kind of fix.

Reply to
JasonDupuy