1996 Civic 1.3 dx stalls after 20 minutes

Hi there,

I was stuck in traffic when my civic stalled, I managed to splutteringly start it but found it would stall straight away unless I kept it in extremely high rev?s. I managed to get it into a side road. Tried to start the car again sounded a lot like the engine kept being flooded.

Waited an hour for the auto club guy who came along and started the car first time without splutterly. We then let it run for 10 minutes and it did not stall. I then took it round the block and it stalled half way round.

The auto club guy managed to get it started by rev?ing it hard, he noticed that when he rev?d it the exhaust fumes were dark.

He thought the car was overfuelling the engine. Appently there is a sensor that monitors the engine temp and once the engine is warmed up it tells car to lessen the fuel sent to the engine.

Has anyone come across this fault before? Anyone know what the sensor is called?

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks.

Eddy

Reply to
teched

check the coolant level in the radiator, as well as the expansion bottle. in the rad, it needs to be FULL, in the bottle, to the MAX mark. use correct antifreeze and distilled water.

Reply to
jim beam

======================================

The sensor you describe is in the top of your rad or block. It has to be completely immersed to work. Fill your coolant reservoir and radiator. Top up the reservoir to MAX the next evening. Your problems will probably go away. No tap water.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

If this symptom repeats (stalls after warmup; let sit 30 mins. or so, and it will start again), I would strongly suspect a failing ignition coil. Old coils get persnickety with temperature changes.

"teched" wrote

Reply to
Elle

teched wrote in news:962045 snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com:

Engine Coolant Temp sensor.(ECT) They can be measured with an Digital Multimeter's ohmmeter mode. It is usually located near the thermostat,near where the radiator hose goes into the block.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

motsco_ wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Is there also an air bleed port on this model?

Reply to
Jim Yanik