1996 Civic Check Engine Light

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9A605663D8DD1tegger@207.14.116.130:

it sounds like he installed aftermarket cap/plug wires the first time,and OEM cured the problems.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

innews: snipped-for-privacy@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

I dont know. But he changed the whole piece of distributor cap and the

4 wires (that goes to the spark plugs) and that actually seem to have solved the problem. I am not sure if that answers your confusion.

Jim's reply might be the answer.

Reply to
ExtremeValue

ExtremeValue wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I suspect so. Although misfires /should/ be detected by the knock sensor and set a P030x DTC...

Reply to
Tegger

yeah, but there's misfires and there's misfires. weak spark is not a misfire, but it definitely reduces combustion completeness and therefore affects both power and emissions. weak spark is most definitely possible with a worn distributor cap full of spark eroded contact crud and disintegrating carbon brush debris.

Reply to
jim beam