1996 Civic Check Engine Light

Page 2 of 2

it sounds like he installed aftermarket cap/plug wires the first time,and OEM cured the problems.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I dont know. But he changed the whole piece of distributor cap and the 4 wires (that goes to the spark plugs) and that actually seem to have solved the problem. I am not sure if that answers your confusion.
Jim's reply might be the answer.

I suspect so. Although misfires /should/ be detected by the knock sensor and set a P030x DTC...
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

yeah, but there's misfires and there's misfires. weak spark is not a misfire, but it definitely reduces combustion completeness and therefore affects both power and emissions. weak spark is most definitely possible with a worn distributor cap full of spark eroded contact crud and disintegrating carbon brush debris.