1996 Del Sol wont turn over when trying to start

I tried to start my car and it didn?t even turn over. I replaced the battery, had the alternator and starter checked, and checked all of my fuses. Still couldn?t get it to crank at all. My lights worked when I placed the key to the on position but that was it. It just wouldn?t turn over. Any ideas would be grateful!!!!!

Reply to
zenux3232

zenux3232 wrote in news:973832 snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com:

possible bad ignition switch?

or possible bad starter solenoid.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

==============================

Just tap the starter with a hammer and it will start. When the brushes get worn down (or commutator is burnt) the solenoid can't get a ground so it won't even make a big CLICK. Once you get it going, plan to get the starter overhauled with new brushes or swapped.

Guessing your DelSol has high mileage?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

motsco_ wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

the solenoid contacts can also erode and not make contact,thus a click but no crank.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

=============================== Yes, good point for diagnostic purposes.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

I had a '76 Civic where I whacked the starter with a jack handle for nearly a year before I broke down and had the thing rebuilt...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire