1996 Honda Civic DX Electrical Problem

The headlights on my 1996 Honda Civic Dx flicker when I rev the engine. The speedometer also moves wildly like there is some ghost in the machine.

My mechanic checked the system with his little diagnostic computer and said the code went over

1000. He felt not qualified to work on this situation and suggested I take it to the dealer.

Have any of you had this problem? Any ideas what this might be?

I just had a new battery and alternator installed due to wires shorting-out on a piece of metal.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to email me at:

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Craig

Let me guess - the alternator was an aftermarket rebuilt. The symptoms point to the alternator with big flashing arrows. If it is anything else I'd be amazed.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

That was my guess, also. Interesting things about Hondas; the Speedo acts like a 'voltmeter' when the electrical system has problems. I would take a good look at the regulator (or just take it back)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Bet there's an aftermarket radio instal in the mix too. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

This was going-on before the new battery and alternator were installed.

What else do you think it could be?

Thanks,

Craig

Reply to
Craig

"Craig" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Bad engine ground? Maybe a bad ground somewhere else.

Reply to
Jim Yanik