1996 Honda Civic - Strange Transmission Symptoms - Revs high, slow to accelerate

My civic has been treating me great until about six months ago. About that time it started with this strange grumbly whining sound whenever it was in gear and driving, mostly when accelerating. About a month ago, I noticed that I had a very small range of accelerator-pedal motion in which I could accelerate. If I pushed the pedal past that, the engine just revved like it would if the clutch pedal were depressed. About that time I noticed that the grumbly whining sound went away. Since then, on only one occasion, the grumbly sound returned and my acceleration returned to normal.

So, basically, it takes me about 20 seconds to get to 60mph from zero, and I have a hard time getting much past 70mph on the highway. The engine is running fine, the issue is that it seems that not much power is getting to the wheels. Can anybody help me?

Thanks,

Nate

Reply to
moktarino

What's the mileage, how long have you had it and where have you ever had the tranny serviced?

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Reply to
moktarino

Unless I'm missing something here, it sure sounds like a worn-out clutch. I assume if you pop the clutch the engine doesn't stall and the wheels don't spin; it just revs and gradually moves forward?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Yep, that's what it is. Thanks guys for your help!

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
moktarino

This has been a test of the obvious problem diagnosis system. Had this been an actual obvious problem, the OP would have replaced the clutch months ago. This concludes this test of the obvious problem diagnosis system.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew