1997 CRV Fuel Filter

I tried to change the fuel filter in my crv and cannot get the bolts to loosen up. Is there a trick to this? I tried to depressurize the fuel system by removing gas cap. I have the new honda filter in
sealed packae for over a year. Please help!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

why are you trying to change it? are you suffering fuel starvation? usually, honda filters last the life of the vehicle.

The vehicle has 111000 and thought it wouldn't hurt the fuel system or my mialege. I avg 23.49mpg. It runs fine though, so maybe I should just let it be.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in wrote:

As I said in reply to your private email, it's best to get a garage to change the filter. It's a bear getting those bolts undone by hand.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Is it necessary to replace the fuel filter at my mileage, or is it really lifetime as previously posted?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in wrote:

It's a good idea, but not absolutely necessary, no.
Generally speaking, I like to change them every 100,000 miles or so.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

U mentioned impact wrench on filter, which is fine. What about the nut on the bottom of the filter. The top has the banjo bolt that can more easily be accessed.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

You've got a different style of filter than I've got. You're saying the inlet is on top and the outlet on bottom? Same idea would apply: Impact in both places.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

in
OK, the inlet is on bottom and the outlet top. The top has the banjo bolt, the bottom is the line going direct to the bottom of the filter.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

in
just leave the freakin' thing alone! if you're getting fuel starvation, you'll know it when you're ascending a 50% grade with the wife's mother, all the kids, a roof rack and towing a trailer with a pig in it. not before.

in
Why wait that long. If you wait that long until the filter is starving the system, then there is dirt in it, yes? It can be assumed that the filter can only hold so much dirt before it starts to slip by. Why let that dirt in the system and do more harm than necessary?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

in
because that dirt is in the filter, not the system! it can't harm the pump because it's already passed through, and it can't pass through to the injectors - it's perfectly safe where it is.
i smell "recreational" maintenance.

in
Does is not stand to reason that the dirt is bogging down the system? Maybe not noticeable yet?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in wrote:>>

If you're really worried about starvation, you can get the fuel pressure checked at a garage. The pump runs at a constant volume, so any low-flow issues will be evident in the shop. You'll be around 40psi if fuel flow is still good.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with "recreational maintenance" provided you are aware you're doing it to make yourself feel better.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

in
not yet. the capacity of those things, under normal conditions, is over 300k miles.

/that/ is the point i keep asking - do you notice fuel starvation? you know, full throttle, up a big hill, with the vehicle fully loaded.... if so, /that/ is when you change the filter, not before. honda fit real filters with real mileage capacity, not those stupid thimble-sized things that detroit uses.
I am curious: What does your owner's manual say about how often the fuel filter should be changed?
For the 1997 Civic, it's every two years or 24k miles (UK site's online service manual; I think it's a bit different for American Hondas).