1997 Honda Civic just sitting there since February

Greets,

I have my late wife's 1997 Honda Civic which has just been sitting there unused and not driven since February, mainly because I am having issues with getting the title transferred back over to me since I let the registration lapse. Is there anything I should do to the car or watch out for since it has been just sitting there for the past few months?

I am thinking I will recharge the battery, put some fresh Mobil 1 in there, and it should be ready to go... Anything I am missing?

Thanks,

G4M

Reply to
Gunz4me

I should have made it more clear that it has been sitting there since February 2007!

Reply to
Gunz4me

I would go down to your local auto parts store and get some fuel stabilizer put in the recommended amount and fill the tank with fresh gas. If you live some ware that is verry hot and sunny I would cover the tires (I have had a set of tires crack on a street bike after sitting for on year in the Sacramento sun) put a sun shield in the windshield so the dash won't crack.

Reply to
william1977

That's not a very long time span, but you may want to put in a tiny bottle of gas line antifreeze to absorb the water that's condensed in the gas. Fuel stabilizer is used _before_ you store the vehicle.

Once you start it up, topping up the tank with Gasohol might be a good idea to absorb any moisture that's left. Gasohol is explained in the owner's manual.

Have you been using fuel injector cleaner seasonally in the past? It's a good idea on Hondas.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

It sounds like not only has the car been sitting since Feb. but it will continue to sit until he gets the title and Reg. sorted out down at the DMV and that could take a while. I don't think that the fuel has gone bad in that period of time and if he puts a fuel stabilizer in the tank and then fills it up with fresh fuel I think he will be OK. The fuel dryer is not a bad idea also.

Reply to
william1977