1998 Accord 4cyl oil filter

What is the best oil filter to use on a 1998 Accord 4cyl? I have to go back to changing my own oil. My dealer's service department is going downhill fast ever since they opened a Mercedes dealership and all the best techs were transferred there.

Reply to
edspyhill01

Lots of info and pics at:

Boiled down to:

"What oil?" you ask. Muahahahah!!! Sneak a peak at

for more than you EVER wanted to read about motor oil! I the 98 Accord is like most others: The oil filter is located on the back of the engine, about halfway up, against the firewall. You can't access it from above; you must reach up from below the car and unscrew it. Start looking for a set of drive-up ramps. :)

-Moo

Reply to
Greg Campbell

Honda and PureOne filters are both good choices. If it rhymes with "scam" it probably isn't a good filter. ;-)

Reply to
Leftie

Thank you to all for the information.

Ed S.

Reply to
edspyhill01

I think the SuperTech filter is the best one to use, other than the Honda filter. Why? Because it is the only aftermarket filter I have seen, where the rubber gasket is rounded and not flat. The Honda filter has the rounded gasket. And you can't beat the price, I get them at Wal-Mart, it's # ST3593A

Reply to
Wade

??? What freaking difference does the O-ring shape make?

Most Supertech units are roughly on par with the eminently craptastic Fram. Why not spend another 2 bucks and buy a Purolator, Wix, or any one of a dozen mid-range filters? For the life of me, I can't comprehend how people can spend tens of thousands on a car, then thousands more on oil, gas, insurance, etc., only get all tight-assed when picking a filter.

Low end filters can and do disintegrate, shedding chunks of filter media, end caps, glue, and god knows what into the oil system. Clog a single oil galley and you'll destroy your engine. Also, that cheap media isn't going filter worth a dang...

Reply to
Greg Campbell

Greg Campbell wrote in news:zlInl.18247$xQ5.16099 @newsfe23.iad:

No fan here of aftermarket filters of /any/ kind, but I have to ask: Your cite for this?

Reply to
Tegger

it makes a difference as to whether the o-ring sticks to the block, gets sandwiched under a new filter, then blows out on the freeway dumping your oil. trust me on that one.

not so. supertech are made by champion labs, the same people that make the highly expensive and acclaimed brands like mobil 1, bosch, and some others i can't be bothered to look up right now. don't be mislead just because they're branded for woolmort and underpriced.

for the life of me, i can't comprehend paying $10 for a filter when the same one with a different brand label on it costs only $2.60.

indeed. but know your facts before making sweeping statements.

Reply to
jim beam

Ahem... Any competent ;) home mechanic will CHECK the removed filter for the presence of the o-ring before blindly slapping on a new one. Failure to perform and o-ring check is almost as bad as watching a mysterious puddle of oil form beneath your car as you pour the new stuff in. Wanna trade screw-ups? :)

My basic point stands: Judging filter quality on o-ring appearance seems a tad shallow.

You do have a point. After posting, I surfed around and found that some ST models seem to be built on Champion's e-core design which isn't too awful. (Personally, I think they're still a little too flimsy.) My opinion was based on several recent discussions indicating that (some) ST models are/were? built by Honeywell (Fram) and are flimsy junk. W/O knowing what's in the box, I still think I'd give them a pass. If ST ever transitions to 100% Champ ecore, I'd grudgingly use one, "if I had to."

Um... since when does 10 - 2 = 2.60??

And don't go misquoting me, doofus. :P I never said $10. What's so horrible about spending $6 or so for decent filter media (meaningful filtration) and disintegration resistant construction. Show of hands: who would want something like this in their car?

I'm not aware of any $2.60 filter being sold for $10. Did you have an example in mind, or were you just making an uninformed 'sweeping statement'? :) The Mobil 1 is arguably overpriced at ~$10 (6~7 sounds fair), but is FAR superior to any

Reply to
Greg Campbell

no, trade experience of oil changes with san francisco honda.

it's not shallow and it's not appearance. the point is, honda use a specific gasket type for a reason - sticking. champion labs pay attention to that. fram don't.

then you clearly haven't bothered to check one out.

eh? a "mobil 1" filter costs $10 or more. the supertech version costs $2.60.

i'm not misquoting you "doofus", i'm giving you data that you don't seem to have.

again, you're wringing your hands and bleating based on misplaced supposition.

i'm "not convinced" you're paying attention!

opinions are not facts. if i were giving you opinions, i'd preface them with a statement like "it is my opinion".

Reply to
jim beam

Just as an aside - a few months ago I bought a genuine Honda oil filter for my daughter's Accord. It felt a little funny going on - instead of gradually tightening it got slightly tight then came to a hard stop. I was rushed and finished up, but I was still surprised to find an oil leak a few days later. I got a good light in there and found the filter seated metal-to-metal on the block with oil trickling from it. I got another Honda filter and replaced the filter again, which cured the leak. The clearance on the new filter was not visibly greater than the defective one but it tightened normally. Weird.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee