1998 Civic EX mt 2dr prob

I have a problem. Before my car accident when i drove the car it felt stronger then after the accident. The car runs goood even after the accident but just feels a lil weaker. Its been about a year since the accident and I have no engine problems except it has a lil lag when i floor it. I was wondering what i could do to get it running the way it was before?

Reply to
johnny

-----------------------

Knowing what type of accident, and the mileage would help.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

Do you have good records of gas mileage, and if so have you seen any change after the accident?

As a benchmark for my engine performance, I use a hill next to my house where my car just barely maintains 40 mph in 4th gear if I floor it. Should I perceive drop in power, I can take it to that hill and see what it does.

Reply to
Randolph

Yes. It would also help to know under what conditions you feel the lack of power, is it only at higher RPM, only at lower RPM etc.

Things to look for are a disconnected VTEC pressure switch, disconnected VTEC Solenoid valve, kinks in the intake plumbing, shop towel left in the air filter box, banana stuck up the exhaust, improperly adjusted parking brake etc.

Reply to
Randolph

hmmm when i wrecked it had about 75k on it and I do the routine tune ups/oil change. This is how the accident happened. I was driving on the left lane of a 2 lane street and the guy was comin from a parking lot on the right and he just pullled out in front of me and I hit him while breaking from going 35 in the rain so it skid into him and the only major engine part that had to be replaced was the radiator and intake.

Reply to
johnny

o my bad I forgot to put this in. It feels weaker during lower rpms.

Reply to
johnny

Ah! Not many things affect the lower rpms. Ignition timing is the main thing - it may be a couple degrees retarded.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

how do u fix that??

Reply to
johnny

The distributor is loosened and rotated slightly to set the timing. There are a number of by-the-ways listed on the VECI label under the hood. It requires a timing light, and the service check connector behind the passenger's kick panel must be jumpered. Be aware the timing marks can be pretty ambiguous.

Or any shop can do it for about half an hour labor charge.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee