1998 honda accord problem

I have a 1998 honda accord. I had a leanfuel error code. Honda told me that i needed to replace both sensors or my converter. I replaced the O2 sensors and it stopped sputtering. Now when i am driving it stalls and regains power. Also does this on highway and backing up slow.I also noticed that the clock only in my car is flashing on and off like flickering. No engine light on. I replaced the recall on the ignition switch in 2002. Honda parts are expensive with no error code PLEASE HELP THANKS

Reply to
jessica8080

jessica8080 wrote in news:994666_ snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com:

WHAT WAS THE NUMERIC ERROR CODE? There's no such error as "leanfuel".

When it "stalls", do all the dash lights come on? Does the tach needle drop to zero momentarily then recover?

Reply to
Tegger

i lose all power no lights on and 4 ways dont even work. The tach drops then i push the clutch and restart only on the highway this works. They did not give me a code the honda DEALER told me it was lean fuel. When it happens in town driving it will seem like i turned key off no power even no 4 ways still and then when trying to re start it will turn over and start for a second and then i am in the same situation over again no power notta!!

Thanks for replying

"Tegger" wrote: > jessica8080 wrote in news:994666_ > snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com: > > > I have a 1998 honda accord. I had a leanfuel error code. > Honda told > > me that i needed to replace both sensors or my converter. I > replaced > > the O2 sensors and it stopped sputtering. Now when i am > driving it > > stalls and regains power. Also does this on highway and > backing up > > slow.I also noticed that the clock only in my car is > flashing on and > > off like flickering. No engine light on. I replaced the > recall on > > the ignition switch in 2002. > > Honda parts are expensive with no error code PLEASE HELP > THANKS > > > > > WHAT WAS THE NUMERIC ERROR CODE? There's no such error as > "leanfuel". > > When it "stalls", do all the dash lights come on? Does the > tach needle drop > to zero momentarily then recover? > > -- > Tegger > > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ >

jessica8080

Did you have the ignition switch replaced under the recall a few years back? It might be your problem, because the switch contacts were not heavy enough to handle the current. My 2 cents worth.

Reply to
Andy

jessica8080 wrote in news:995563 snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com:

If you have no 4-ways, this rules out the ignition switch as the 4-ways are completely independent of the ignition switch.

At this point I suspect a loose connection somewhere. Has anybody wiggled the battery cables to see if they're loose on the battery posts?

As for the "leanfuel" code, this is likely P0172 or P0175. OBD codes are bit of a trick. For example, a "too lean" error may result from the power to the fuel pump failing before power to the OBD system. The pump needs quite a bit more current than the logic, so it would malfunction first in the case of dodgy power.

I'm not saying this IS what's happening, just that the actual cause of the error may be very different from what the error says. But knowing the error code helps in figuring out where to start looking.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks for the Reply good to know it isnt the igntion switch. I the first thing i did was check the battery cables and noticed alot of green build up on the negative battery cable where it connects lower down in the car from the battery. So i replaced the whole cable and so far so good. Any other thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated

thanks again

"Tegger" wrote: > jessica8080 wrote in news:995563 > snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com: > > > i lose all power no lights on and 4 ways dont even work. The > tach > > drops then i push the clutch and restart only on the highway > this > > works. They did not give me a code the honda DEALER told me > it was > > lean fuel. > > When it happens in town driving it will seem like i turned > key off no > > power even no 4 ways still and then when trying to re start > it will > > turn over and start for a second and then i am in the same > situation > > over again no power notta!! > > > > If you have no 4-ways, this rules out the ignition switch as > the 4-ways are > completely independent of the ignition switch. > > At this point I suspect a loose connection somewhere. Has > anybody wiggled the > battery cables to see if they're loose on the battery posts? > > As for the "leanfuel" code, this is likely P0172 or P0175. OBD > codes are bit > of a trick. For example, a "too lean" error may result from > the power to the > fuel pump failing before power to the OBD system. The pump > needs quite a bit > more current than the logic, so it would malfunction first in > the case of > dodgy power. > > I'm not saying this IS what's happening, just that the actual > cause of the > error may be very different from what the error says. But > knowing the error > code helps in figuring out where to start looking. > > > > -- > Tegger > > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ >

jessica8080

jessica8080 wrote in news:999155 snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com:

If the problem goes away, then the cable was faulty. If the problem recurs, past back here again.

Reply to
Tegger