1999 Civic blown head gasket

Page 2 of 2
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

with a plastic tank, it is prudent to simply replace it being as they tend to crack round about then anyway. no cleaning, no bugs in the matrix, guaranteed functionality.

my popped gasket got started when my civic was new; it had a tendency to heat up since day 1, i assumed it was because the tiny radiator was so minimal. after a few years when it couldn't even deliver that level of cooling, i swapped it out, and was astounded that the new one never overheated. shortly thereafter, my head gasket paid the price of those few years of my assuming that the original factory radiator wouldn't have birth defects. on a humorous note, i just replaced the replacement radiator after like 15 years, due to a big leak; it turned out that despite its really ragged appearance, it was still intact, and the leak was coming from the innocent looking heater hose which had split down the bottom side. haha.

the proverbial urban legend that putting a rebuilt head on an old engine will make the bottom end go, because the increase of pressure back to spec is too much for it. my theory, based on seeing a couple of rebuilt heads, is that they come with so much scrap metal and shrapnel in the cooling and oiling passages that it clogs the oil passages in the crank. (one of these did indeed end up with a thrown rod shortly afterwards)
when i needed a rebuilt head, i eventually went with one rebuilt from PAECO in birmingham alabama, btw, which was clean enough to eat off of. they're not at all cheap, though; their main market is SCCA racers. looking at their website now, i don't see head rebuilding, but for anyone who wants to go that route, i'd advise at least asking them.