1999 CRV: Keeping clock bright when lites are on?

I drive with my headlights on during the day (the '99 does not come with DTRL), but the clock dims out when the lights go on, because there was an
assumption that lights only go on at night.
Is there a configuration somewhere within the CRV that allows for "allways bright" on the clock?
If not, is there a wire that I can cut or short to make it always bright? I'm assuming that at the very least there would be something on the clock itself. Maybe 3 wires?----[ground, low, high] or maybe [ground, Positive, lites-on] ?
Thanks!
PS. Before I thought to ask the question if there was another way, I had asked here how to remove the clock. That damn thing is impossible to remove! Stubborn little sucker----if you have any hints about that too, I'd appreciate it.
--
Having a dog that is a purebred does not qualify it for breeding. Dogs need
to have several generations of clearances for various illnesses before being
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

----------------------------
You could add true DRL to your '99 and solve the problem, and save fuel while you're at it. Using the headlights as DRL turns on about 8 other unneeded bulbs, and the headlights run at full power. Take a look at:
http://www.hamsar.com/drlkits.htm
For some reason I think model 45060 is the right one to simulate the Canadian version of Honda DRL on a CR-V.
I can find the other answer in my manual . . . Just takes time. The clock pops out with a butterknife. Put tape on the lower edge of the dash first.
'Curly'
motsco_ _" <"motsco_ _ coughed up:

Tried that----the tolerance of that gap is so incredibly small that a butterknife all by itself bends the clock into scary proportions!. Chipped the thing too attempting this. I'm not very good at yanking out dash components.
Also----the clips that they use on the dashboard that "snaps into" special rectangular holes in other parts of the dash, can pop off and fly deep into the cavity (somewhere) to never be seen again. They just are not clamped onto the dash part well enough. Arg.
--
Having a dog that is a purebred does not qualify it for breeding. Dogs
need to have several generations of clearances for various illnesses

-------------------
Use a narrow putty knife then, they are way thinner than the common butter knife. I can't find the instructions over at hondasuv.com, but I know they are there. Sign in and use the SEARCH function. Look for clock.
'Curly'
motsco_ _" <"motsco_ _ coughed up:

Tried that too long ago. It bent the thin putty knife. After years of working with this or that I'm coming to a carefully drawn conclusion that I'm cursed when it comes to car maintenance.

--
http://www.allexperts.com is a nifty way to get an answer to just about
/anything/.
I drive with my headlights on during the day (the '99 does not come with DTRL), but the clock dims out when the lights go on, because there was an assumption that lights only go on at night.
Is there a configuration somewhere within the CRV that allows for "allways bright" on the clock?
If not, is there a wire that I can cut or short to make it always bright? I'm assuming that at the very least there would be something on the clock itself. Maybe 3 wires?----[ground, low, high] or maybe [ground, Positive, lites-on] ?
Thanks!
PS. Before I thought to ask the question if there was another way, I had asked here how to remove the clock. That damn thing is impossible to remove! Stubborn little sucker----if you have any hints about that too, I'd appreciate it.
-- Having a dog that is a purebred does not qualify it for breeding. Dogs need to have several generations of clearances for various illnesses before being bred. If you are breeding dogs without taking care as to the genetic quality of the dog (again, being purebred is not enough), you are what is known as a "backyard breeder" and are part of the problem. Most of the congenital problems of present day dogs are traceable directly to backyard breeding. Spay or neuter your pet responsibly, and don't just think that you're somehow the exception and can breed a dog without taking the care described.
"Thomas G. Marshall"

You talk about the clock, but you forget that the clock is part of the instrument lighting overall.
On some cars, the dashboard light dimmer switch has a position whereby it turns all the dash lights on full strength, plenty bright for anytime.
Elmo P. Shagnasty coughed up:

No I didn't. The clock is /not/ part of the instrument lighting. It is under separate control, high and low based only on whether or not the lights are on, and is not affected by the dashboard light dimmer.

--
It's time for everyone to just step back, take a deep breath, relax,
and stop throwing hissy fits over crossposting.

Man, Honda is making things CHEAP. I guess that's their philosophy on the Civic-based line.
More and more, it's obvious that the beancounters are in charge at Honda, and that engineers are way down the ladder.
Damn shame.
Elmo P. Shagnasty coughed up:

I'm not sure that it /should/ be part of the dash dimmer. It has differing requirements. It needs to be on both when the headlights are on and off, and they need to be brightest during the day, and dimmed at night. At least that would be the theory.
--
"So I just, uh... I just cut them up like regular chickens?"
"Sure, just cut them up like regular chickens."
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

------------------------
Here's the 'long' answer:
Four wires run the clock. Yellow = ACC power, White / blue tracer = On all the time, Black is chassis ground, and Red / Black tracer is ILLUMINATION input.
When the ILLUMINATION input is zero, the backlight runs at 100%. Apply any voltage from the dash lights, and it drops to 50% , then down to maybe 5% depending on the position of the brightness control. To solve your problem, install a switch in the Red/Black line to prevent the clock knowing the dash lights have come on. You could mount the switch on one of the the two blank plugs to the left of the steering wheel, or even get a matching used Honda switch from a cruise control or fog lamps.
'Curly'
Go to Wal Mart and buy a stick on clock.
Tom
wrote in message

twfsa coughed up:

LOL
--
It's time for everyone to just step back, take a deep breath, relax,
and stop throwing hissy fits over crossposting.

-------------------------
Here's a better link to an article about the '99 clock:
http://www.hondasuv.com/crv/viewtopic.php?tf
'curly'
motsco_ _" <"motsco_ _ coughed up:

CR-V Articles Forum Index Information The topic or post you requested does not exist
I am a member too.
--
"So I just, uh... I just cut them up like regular chickens?"
"Sure, just cut them up like regular chickens."
motsco_ _" <"motsco_ _ coughed up:

nevermind. found it.
--
http://www.allexperts.com is a nifty way to get an answer to just about
/anything/.
motsco_ _" <"motsco_ _ coughed up:

Ok, here's the thing. When I've asked before how to remove the clock, the answer was always the same: insert a knife under the clock.
The point is, you don't do that (apparently according to that link you just gave). You put the knife underneath the entire center vent assembly (which hold vents+clock+emergency switch).
I've tried that too now, and started to bend the butter knife. Gonna have to try something else.
Where do those four pairs of wires hook into the main system. I'm not lucky enough to have them near the fuse block am I?
--
Everythinginlifeisrealative.Apingpongballseemssmalluntilsomeoneramsitupyournose.