1999 Honda Accord LX Automatic with Vtech 6 cylinder

1999 Honda Accord LX with Vtech 6 cylinder

Help .. need some advice.

Maint Light on . DTC codes are

P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfires Detected

Any hints . suggestions . possible/probable causes that anyone knows of?

Any and all assistance will be greatly Appreciated.

Bill

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Adams

How many miles are on this car?

Do you follow the maintenance schedule to the letter? For example, when were plugs, wires, distributor cap, fuel filter, and air filter last changed? Have you been using strictly OEM (= genunine Honda) parts?

"Bill Adams" wrote

anyone knows of?

Reply to
Elle

Not quite 100K. All maint was done within a couple hundred miles of when it was supposed to be and only used the best materials.

Reply to
Bill Adams

I can only guess at what "best materials" means. If the plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap and rotor aren't OEM, I'd replace them.

I'd check the timing. Then I'd do a test of the distributor coil.

Keep checking back.

"Bill Adams" wrote

hundred miles of when it

For

Reply to
Elle

Bill, I suggest that you (or a mechanic) conduct a compression check of each cylinder. I also suggest that you take the vehicle to a mechanic and have him or her use a "Diagnostic computerized engine tester" to track down the source of the problem. This might be cheaper than replacing various parts that may not be defective. This might be a great time to get a complete tune up. I should note that I am not a mechanic but when I was younger I was a "back yard mechanic"--minor repairs only due to the lack of equipment. Jason

Reply to
Jason

Dropping off at the mechanic tonight. Hoping it is something simple... ... and inexpensive.

Hoping it is NOT compression ...

Thanks

Reply to
Bill Adams

Compression doesn't come to mind. I think it will be ignition... with the most likely being tune-up stuff. That isn't "inexpensive" on any modern car, but it is at least affordable enough.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Mike, You might be right. One reason that I mentioned a compression check was because only some of the cylinders were mentioned in the original post. That could be a sign that there is a compression problem with those specific cylinders. I hope that I am wrong.

Reply to
Jason

Don't take this wrong but I hope you are wrong and Mike is right ... Tune up stuff not cheap but a LOT cheper than cylinder work.

BTW .. I only mentioned cylinders because the readout mentioned cyclinders ... as in 3 of the 6 misfiring.

Will let you know.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Adams

Bill, I don't like to be proved wrong. However, in this case--I hope that I am proved wrong since "tune up stuff is not cheap but a lot cheaper than cylinder work". However, if the "tune up" does not solve the problem--the compression check should be done to rule in or out cylinder problems. Please let us know--I hope that the tune up DOES solve your problem. Jason

Reply to
Jason