1999 Odyssey Recall Transmission

Did anybody else have the transmission replaced, either included in the recall or because it's a POS and have problems (esp a gas mileage drop) afterwards?

Reply to
Chuck
99-01 transmissions were prone to failure. They have an extended warranty to 109k miles because of it and a lawsuit. There was no recall on it. For All you need to know about the Odyssey check out

Woody

change the transmission fluid and it will be just fine. a lot of people don't bother changing the transmission fluid on hondas and their transmissions are the easiest to change the fluid on. no filter required.

Reply to
hondaman

===================

Mileage drop is usually caused by dirty injectors or low coolant in the reservoir, especially after any engine work. It messes up the computer and idle / mileage suffers. That's why it's mentioned in the owner's manual.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Unfortunately the problems in the 99-01 Odyssey have nothing to do with changing the fluid. Many have failed in under 40k. Very few have made it over 100k without failing. The problem is in design which also carried over to the five speeds in the 02-04 van. Although fewer of them failed the percentage is still very high....

Reply to
Woody

Gas mileage drop is also caused be blocked EGR passages which is another 'feature' of the 99-01 Odyssey. They did come out with a TSB to drill it out and insert sleeves but never recalled it.

Reply to
Woody

On 4/13/2008 9:09 AM Woody spake these words of knowledge:

'Very few' and 'very high' are relative terms. I see an awful lot of

99-01 Odysseys on the road here. My own has over 142,000 miles without a transmission problem. A friend had 157,000 on a '99 model LX when it was traded in for a '07 last year.

To be honest, I don't personally know the failure rate, because Honda has not made it public. But I do know it's not anywhere near 5%. It

*is* a very high failure rate - for a Honda - and there's no excuse for the problem persisting over several model years, irrespective of the original cause.

For detailed information on all things Odyssey, check out

When I joined, I was member #6.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

Dave Kelsen wrote in news:480293ed$0$20199$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

0.03% is considered a disaster.

The recent transmission situation might be a bit worse than that.

Reply to
Tegger