20 cents a mile 2004 civic

During a slow snowy weekend I finally spreadsheeted three years of Honda bills and came up with about 20 cents a mile operating cost for my civic (40K miles).
That includes gasoline, maintenance, insurance, but not depreciation. My 1990 average 11 cents a mile over its lifetime, when gas was cheaper. Insurance hasnt changed that much over the decades. Age discounts tend to counteract inflation. Its was very short spreadsheet. Besides the seven periodic maintenances, there was failed pollution sensor (warranty) and new winter tires. Not much.
Thanks for the info - I own a 2004 Civic myself and have wondered how I should calculate costs for buisness trips. :D
"rick++" wrote: > During a slow snowy weekend I finally spreadsheeted three > years of > Honda bills > and came up with about 20 cents a mile operating cost for my > civic > (40K miles). > That includes gasoline, maintenance, insurance, but not > depreciation. > My 1990 average 11 cents a mile over its lifetime, when gas > was > cheaper. > Insurance hasnt changed that much over the decades. Age > discounts > tend to counteract inflation. > Its was very short spreadsheet. Besides the seven periodic > maintenances, > there was failed pollution sensor (warranty) and new winter > tires. > Not much.

You should use the official IRS number of $.485 per mile. Having an efficient car will allow you save money then. When I add in depreciation, I get 29 cents. The average SUV is something like 70 cents altogether.
$.485 being the rate for 2007.
The rate for 2006 is $0.445