2000 Accord 4 Cylinder

I was coming home decided to go in the grocery store and get milk, came back out the Engine Turns over fine (at Normal rate) but it will not start. The Battery is new, and I never had problem with this car
before. Anyone has any ideas?
Sam InPOWELL wrote:

Ignition switch module, if it starts and dies as soon as you let the key go.
Just a thought, probably need more info to diagnose the issues.
JM2C
Eric

the engine keeps turning but never starts
On 02/13/2010 09:58 PM, Sam InPOWELL wrote:

is the check engine light on? what code do you have?
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

When was the last time the car got new plugs/wires/rotor and distributor cap?
Might be time.
Has it been wet weather lately where you are? (see above)

check the main relay,too.it may need resoldering or replacement.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 02/14/2010 10:00 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

on the obdII 2000 accord, there should be a code that differentiates all the above conjecture. the op should start there before any further guesswork.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

.
Jim thank you, but can you please tell me in plain english what that means. sorry i just know a little about cars not much. But Before I show it to mechanic i dont want them to take advantage of me so I want to get opinions of you experts. Thanks
On 02/14/2010 04:34 PM, Sam InPOWELL wrote:

is the check engine light on? if so, the engine computer has registered a fault and you need to borrow a code reader from kragen/pep boys, etc and find out what it is. that'll give you a better handle on the no-start than simply guessing. it'll also save you money on paying someone else to do the same thing for you.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

the light was on for a while, i got the prob fixed but mechanic never reset the light. so the light stayed on.
On 02/15/2010 04:01 PM, Sam InPOWELL wrote:

1. never drive around with the check engine light on. it's there for a reason. find out what the problem is and get it fixed.
2. if your "mechanic" never reset the light, they're not really a mechanic. find someone else who is. [see #1 above.]
3. absent finding out what the code is, you're wasting people's time. you can buy a code reader online for ~$45 or you can borrow one for free at most auto parts stores.
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc. never drive around with the check engine light on. it could be something serious and you could be making it worse and costing yourself a lot of money.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

It shouldn't matter,as the car was already running and warmed up. Being turned off during a run into a store isn't long enough for moisture to cause ignition problems.

the car is about the right age for a main relay problem,even if the outside temp is not hot.
Or else the igniter finally failed.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 02/14/2010 05:34 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

on obdII vehicles, misfires, igniter failures and injector circuit faults all register codes.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

I will have to get a pocket code scanner from autozone or something and get the code, since car does not start, would it still give me the code?
On 02/15/2010 04:03 PM, Sam InPOWELL wrote:

unless you've reset the computer or disconnected the battery, yes it will.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

When the engine cranks but refuses to fire, does the tach needle jiggle just the tiniest amount, or is it dead-still?
I have a reason for asking this.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

What is one of these in (British) English please?
--
Clive

writes

The "igniter" is officially known as the Ignition Control Module, or ICM.
The reason I asked the OP about his tach is that tach behavior when cranking is a dead giveaway for a failed igniter.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Thank you, I now know what you mean.