2000 Accord fails to start

I just bought this vehicle a few months ago. This happened twice now. The first time my son left the running lights on by mistake and after a couple of hours the car was dead. It just did it again but this time he was listening to the radio on accessory for about 15 minutes and dead again. I am thinking battery not holding charge. I get no idiot lights warning of charging system so I assume the alternator is doing its thing. It starts immediately on jump. Any comments. Thanks

Reply to
JRL

Go by one of big chain auto parts places like Auto Zone-- they'll test your charging system for free and tell you if your batt is kaput...

Reply to
Jack Pott

"JRL" wrote

Do the five checks listed about 1/3 of the way down at

and report back. You will need an electrical multimeter. The more often a battery is drained to dead, the shorter its life will be. It's an exponential relationship, and not in the battery life's favor. Also, a dying battery will work the alternator, and so reduce the alternator's life, as well.

Reply to
Elle

You bought a car whose battery is muerto. It's seven years old. It doesn't owe anybody anything. Replace it, or walk home in the rain.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

I think you are right. Thanks