2000 Accord lower gas mileage. Any explanations?

Hi,

I have a 2000 Accord EX (4dr) automatic w/ 88000 miles on it. A few months ago, it was giving me around 23/24 mpg. I went out of the country and the car was sitting there for 6 months. After I got back, it was still giving me 23/24 for a month or two, but during the last

3-4 fills, its only been giving me 20 mpg.

My driving habits haven't changed apart from the fact that all my driving is pretty much city around a 7-8 mile radius. Would that have something to do with it?

I went to the dealer and they couldn't come up with anything. All they said was to do a consumption test, which is a pretty non-technical way to figure out the current gas mileage.

Any comments on what might be causing this? I did all the normal stuff like check tire pressure, and dont accelerate too quickly from lights... i am a pretty "good" driver when it comes to that..

any help would be appreciated.

thanks, Kal.

Reply to
giddyup!

Yes. City driving will always lead to a lower MPG than highway. Mixed driving incorporates both. If you WERE doing a lot of mixed driving, and are now doing only city, that would clearly explain the difference.

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

Try all the suggestions at

When was the car last given new plugs and ignition wires?

Reply to
Elle

My '96 mileage went to hell, and I replaced the O2 sensor, and back up she went.

My first steps would be run a few tanks of Shell Ultra through it to clean it out. Maybe some Cheveron FI cleaner (available at Costco a lot cheaper than the station). New Plugs as mentioned also.

Just a few things to try.

Before you realy jump the gun though, take a long trip in the car and check the mileage. That's the only way to really know.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

with your mileage, it's probably time to have your O2 sensor checked. A bad O2 sensor will kill your gas mileage (when it goes bad, by default they make engine run rich). When was last time your plugs and spark plug wires were checked/ replaced?

there are a few things to consider. Small stuff would be your wheel alignment, tire pressure and dirty fuel injectors.

Fuel injectors need to get cleaned every 20-25k miles (if you're good about using clean fuel). Fuel additives really don't help much, the best way to keep injectors clean is to have them professionally cleaned. Injector cleaning also cleans out your intake manifold, etc.

Dirty fuel injectors will also hurt gas mileage a lot, O2 sensors hurt it the most.

hope this helps,

oskar

Reply to
pheonix1t