2000 Civic DX timing belt

I have 99,000 trouble-free miles. I think the timing belt replacement is overdue. How critical is changing the timing belt? How many shop hours should I expect to pay at my dealer?
thanks, mike

Your owner's manual will say if it is overdue, but it is about due in any case.
The timing belt change is absolutely critical. If it fails the engine may or may not be worth repairing. Call around to reputable shops in the area - the price can vary over a wide range, so get the best deal you can trust.
Many of us recommend replacing the water pump at the same time, for two reasons. The lesser reason is that it is possible for the water pump to seize and cause the timing belt to fail, but the main reason is that the water pump life expectancy is similar to the timing belt expectancy and 90% of the labor to change the water pump is already done in doing the timing belt. Some people have reported getting over 200K miles out of a water pump, but the odds compared with the stakes make it an easy choice for me.
Mike
ms wrote:

iirc, interval for your car is 105k. check your owners manual.
it's critical. about 4 hours.
I had the timing belt,drive belt, and water pump replaced per recommendation from my local honda service manager and this group. thanks,