2000 Civic PCV valve ?

My bone stock 2000 Civic (D16Y7 engine) is going fine, should I clean or replace the PCV valve some day soon (the manual makes NO mention of this) ?

Reply to
2000 Civic hatch

it will help with fuel economy and oil consumption. Easier to do during an oil change as the oil filter interferes with removal.

2000 Civic hatch wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

"2000 Civic hatch" wrote

I do not have the 2000 manual in front of me, but the 1999 one says to inspect the PCV valve every 60 months/60k miles, whichever comes first. That's similar to what is written for my 91 Civic.

You should remove the PCV valve and soak it with carb cleaner (which typically says it's good for cleaning PCV components, too). Or you can spray it with PB Blaster. Both cleaners are available at places like Autozone and Wal-Mart for a few dollars a can.

The site

describes my experience with my 91 Civic's PCV valve. I think it's worth a read. On a few Hondas, the PCV valve is hard to get to. On most, it's easy to remove and re-install.

Reply to
Elle

the 2000 civic (if its the same as my 98, should be since same engine and same generation of civic) is pretty hard to get to unless you remove the oil filter. Even then, its fairly hard, my hands are pretty big and don't lend themselves to this job very well...

:)

Elle wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com