2000 Civic timing belt

Time for someone good (not me) to replace the timing belt on my stock

2000 Civic (low miles but time, plan on keeping a couple more years) I have a few questions (checked the FAQs etc but no luck) I know water pump at the same time but how about the thermostat, since radiator is drained how about hoses and or belts, tensioners, anything else ?
Reply to
gnu / linux

Sounds like you are on the right track. I recommend replacing the tensioners, but get more opinions about that. I have heard the recommendation to replace them every other time - they are expensive, and they care more about the miles than about time. I would say "yes" to the thermostat, but considering the spate of thermostat problems in late model Civics (see the "08 civic warmup issues" thread) I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about the thermostats that may be on the shelf right now. It's a great time to replace the belt(s) and certainly a time to check the hoses and replace them if they are in doubt.

Good luck!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:qbqdnZSXnoR1NizUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

There's only one under the timing belt cover, and it's about $40, I think. Cheap insurance. And you're already all the way in there anyway. By the end of the second go-around, the tensioner bearing is really loose and wobbly, so every other belt change is about right for that. .

I agree. My personal preference is to replace the thermostat every five years, but the recent problems have me putting a "hold" rating on that particular investment. If the car seems to be warming up like its usual self, leave the thermostat alone. For now. Let's wait and see what Honda ends up doing.

The rad hoses should be replaced every five or six years. Pop one of those and you've got Big Trouble in Little China.

Replace the accessory drive belts at the same time as the timing belt. they're also about $30-$40 each, OEM.

Reply to
Tegger

innews:qbqdnZSXnoR1NizUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

thanks all !

Reply to
gnu / linux

i did "preemptive" replacement if the tensioner on my 89 civic a few years back and imo it was a waste of money. the new oem replacement was just as loose and wobbly as the old one it replaced. so when i did the belt on my crx, i merely checked to see if the bearing was still smooth, whether it was looser than normal or noisy, then re-used it. it's not like we're plagued with reports of timing belt tensioner pulleys failing here.

with automatics, keep an eye on how long it takes for the lockup clutch to engage. thermostat or coolant temperature sensor problems can result in no or delayed lockup - a symptom well in advance of anything else noticeable to stick drivers.

Reply to
jim beam