2000 Honda CRV time to replace?

OK here's the siuation.

I have a 2000 Honda CRV with 150K miles on it. It's been GREAT with NO maintenance beyond oil change, etc.

However, it now needs new struts, shocks, alignment, and tires to the tune of $800.

Is it worth it? Anything else gonna go wrong in the near future? How's the tranny gonna hold up at this age? Or is it time to give it up and look at a replacement?

I drive about 30 miles each way to work...and occasionally a 500 mile round trip from Dallas to Houston...

comments?

Thanks everyone!

Reply to
wf3h

One quick observation: The timing belt for the 2000 CR-V is due for replacement at 105k miles. I would have it done a.s.a.p., because (1) it's way overdue and (2) a failed timing belt has a high probability of destroying the engine.

Tack on another $600 or so for replacing the timing belt.

Otherwise, I wish the long term performance of CR-Vs was better known at this time. If this were a Honda Civic, I'd say put the money into it, because years-wise, it's young. Years on a car count more than miles, from my reading.

My first inclination is to put the money into the truck and aim for another five years of performance. Even if you only get a year out of it, you're still paying less per annum than what this has cost you, no?

wrote

Reply to
Elle

A good shop should be able to do and end-to-end inspection, and list the condition of each system, estimated life, and expected cost of maintenance in the next year. This is only an estimate, but it would help you make an informed decision.

From what you say though, unless it has seen rough use, a serious accident or is rusting, I would say it is well worth keeping.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Beaton

yeah i had a feeling this was the next big issue.

so far...of course there's the tranny...

thanks for the update!

Reply to
wf3h

this is the first big expense for the car in 5 years, and 150K miles so i can't complain...of course it's a crap shoot...throwing good money after bad?

thanks for the info.

Reply to
wf3h

eh? did you have a ford before this? i'd guess so based on your fears.

bottom line: get over it. this is a honda. google this group for high mileage stories.

Reply to
jim beam

actually a chevy...blazer. lasted 105K before the tranny blew. but the honda's been amazing. less maintenance in 150K than the chevy had in

50k...

sounds like this is a keeper

Reply to
wf3h

Get on the Internet - buy the parts you need at 1/2 the dealer cost, get a general Honda mechanic to install them at 1/2 the dealer cost - and you are set. I have been doing this the my Volvo and BMW for some time, and even my son's VW - it's a great way to go. BMA Auto -

parts overnight, good prices.. and get to know a local (within 10miles of you) mechanic and you are set for a win-win ! sc

Reply to
Scott C

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Who the hell is telling you to replace the shocks at 150K miles? They should last *well* over 300K.

Reply to
Tegger

Those are all normal maintenance items for a vehicle at that mileage. I would do the repairs and keep running it.

Be aware that not all shocks and struts are created equal. There are many different quality levels on the market. It seems that the Honda originals served you well. I would replace them with OEM or the white KYBs.

Reply to
John Horner

cars will always be an expense. But look at it this way , you could get new tires and timing belt for $1000+ or you could get a new car at $20k

+..you do the math. Even a new car has expenses. As long as you change oil when needed you will be fine. And heck swap in a good low mileage motor for $3-4k if needed..but doubtful. Hell for that matter taxes on a new car would be over $800.. Cars are rarely cosidered investments as more of an expense. But who knows 20-30+yrs from now we'll see civics at the TV auto-auctions catching $100k "Look at this man its a Type R." oooh ahhh ehhhh eeee ohhh yaaaa ahhhh ooooo mmmmmmm yes yes yes oooo yes mmmm.......ok i got carried away there. Just say no to Ford! ...unless you need a truck F-150's are pretty good.
Reply to
Private Private

Yeah I still have originals on My 1993 Del Sol. I can take sharp turns at 50mph no problem...its fun watching the vehicle behind me suddenly fall waayyy back in the same turn. B18c1 w/custom turbo, ac ,nice daily driver tune. Weight 2100 . Lots of carbon, full interior though.

Reply to
Private Private