2001 Accord - loud rear road noise over 40MPH

Hello,

I have a 2001 Accord EX (4-cyl). While driving there is rear undercarriage noise at all speeds. The sound is a low frequency vibration that varies with the current speed being traveled. The sounds appears to becoming equally from the rear left and rear right corner of the car. There is no connection to RPMs or engine activity. The faster the wheels spin, the louder is gets. At 40MPH the vibration

hits a painful, headache inducing, frequency. The faster I go the higher the frequency. 40MPH is bad, so is 65MPH, but the sound is always noisy. Back seat passengers really notice it.

A full tire rotation made no difference. Now what?

Thanks!

Reply to
waitneight

Time to raise both rear wheels and rotate them by hand, paying attention to the feel and sound of each. I think you have a wheel bearing going out.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks Mike. Will do. What might a repair like that run?

Reply to
waynewright

I would expect in the $200 US range, but I'm not sure what type rear bearings the '01 Accord has. There is no need to replace both if one fails.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Ok. I dropped it off at PepBoys tonight for early bird Sunday service. We'll see what happens.

Thanks.

Reply to
waynewright

When was the last time you serviced the rear brakes?

Reply to
L Alpert

PepBoys? I hope for your sake they don't screw up. Franchise-type companies like PepBoys and Midas are generally to be avoided. Find a good private mechanic who works on Japanese cars instead.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Rear brakes got new pads about 6-8 months ago.

Reply to
waynewright

Just to clarify... If the hub is supported by an inner and outer bearing (simple spindle suspension), I would replace the pair even if only one was going bad. Honda's do have inner and outers, yes?

JT

(Now wondering if that's the case on his '83 "baby")

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Not a big fan either, but they are just a 3 minute walk down the street, and being a single guy it is extremely convenient. Anyway, I am still is research mode so I have not authorized any repairs (yet). I just want to hear their diagnosis.

Reply to
waynewright

Yes - the pair on that side would be replaced. I meant the left side would not have to be replaced if the right side is bad, the way shocks and bushings are done.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Just checking.....good luck.

Reply to
L Alpert

Reply to
Pauly

Reply to
pthaker

Only need to do it on the faulty wheel.

Reply to
Seth

Thak - Did that resolve your vibration? I still have been unable to diagnose the source of mine.

Reply to
waynewright

Yup. 8 months and 20K+ miles later, still smooth.

Reply to
Seth

Ok, so I got my diagnosis this morning. It is *definitely* the rear passenger side wheel hub and bearings that need replacement. Makes sense as that is what most of you predicted it would be.

For my '01 four door (4 cylinder) Accord EX sedan, dealer says the part (single hub/bearing assembly) is $96 and for 1.5 hrs labor is $140 bringing the total to around $240. I know I could shop this price down a bit but I'd rather just get this over and done with - unless I'm getting royally screwed.

What do you think about $240 total? Is that fair, about right, or way too much? I'd appreciate some feedback before scheduling an appointment.

Reply to
waynewright

You may be able to get it done a little cheaper, but how much will it cost you in time and effort to save a few bucks. When I needed mine, it being something I didn't know anything about, I sought a mechanic to do it. The dealership wanted about $250. Independent foreign car mechanic 5 minutes drive from home said he would do it for $225. That's what I paid. If the dealer were more convenient I would have paid their higher cost, just for convenience. The mechanic who fixed it for me was a 5 minute drive and easy to get a neighbor to pick me up and drop me off.

Having seen it now, I would probably venture the next one on my own.

Reply to
Seth

"waynewright" wrote

If this is a drum brake, then this price matches exactly the OEM one at

except with shipping the online price would be a bit more. Evidently disk brakes are used also on this model (or else I am missing something).

So the dealer is being fair here.

DIY-ers should recognize that, IIRC, the parts departments of dealerships will mark up prices above, say, the $96 for the wheel bearing assy. above.

Always nice to have some real life price data for the archives here. That helps people.

Sounds fair for a dealer.

An independent shop might do the labor for less, but not by much.

I think you're getting a fair shake here, plus the expertise of the dealership.

Reply to
Elle