2001 Accord maintenance question / concern ...

Yup. At least you asked them what you're getting for $400. Most people I know just take it to the dealer blindly and let them do all kinds of unnecessary servicing. The parts at a dealership are marked far above list price (which is far above invoice).

Reply to
Bucky

Well, that would apply to dealer receipts as well. If you change your oil at the dealer, and you got a receipt saying that they changed your oil, that doesn't prove that they actually did.

Therefore, changing oil yourself and keeping receipts is as valid as having them done at the dealership.

Reply to
Bucky

Ya - your probably right! I knew it was in there somewhere. Whatever it was I did it at that time.

Reply to
kiselink

They pay a fixed amount for each inspection. 99% of extended warranty companies use outside agencies who get paid $90-$100 per inspection while the inspector gets anywhere between $50 and $60 - not a bad mark up for placing a call or sending an email, don't you think? Usually, an inspection takes about 45 minutes but with driving to and from the site

- it's not that much especially considering chimp's acheivements in gas prices... Why do they - the companies - pay to the agencies is obvious - they try to seperate themselves from the inspection as much as possible. Some - actually not many - companies push inspectors into giving them a reason to deny a claim, sometimes they quit using inspectors if their claims are paid too often... normal insurance co "business" practices.

Reply to
Auto Inspector

They pay a fixed amount for each inspection. 99% of extended warranty companies use outside agencies who get paid $90-$100 per inspection while the inspector gets anywhere between $50 and $60 - not a bad mark up for placing a call or sending an email, don't you think? Usually, an inspection takes about 45 minutes but with driving to and from the site

- it's not that much especially considering chimp's acheivements in gas prices... Why do they - the companies - pay to the agencies is obvious - they try to separate themselves from the inspection as much as possible. Some - actually not many - companies push inspectors into giving them a reason to deny a claim, sometimes they quit using inspectors if their claims are paid too often... normal insurance co "business" practices.

Reply to
Auto Inspector

It's interesting how they play the numbers. Up until 1996 or so t/belt replacement was required @ 60,000 miles. Then, they increased interval to 90,000 (mi!) for the same engine, and it's a perfectly legit thing to do since Honda belts come out like new after 60K, and I've never heard or seen a broken belt unless the engine has ciesed due to lack of lubrication. Dont' try this with Mitsubishi or any European masterpiece! Actually, don't try this with anything other than Honda.

Reply to
Auto Inspector

Yes, the latest models are 105K but like I said, they come out like new (on Hondas) after 100,000 mi or so.

Reply to
Auto Inspector