2001 Accord V6 Trans Slip

Got a nice 01 Accord V6 54k mile bought as flood salvage cleaned up nicely runs and drives great but the trans is slipping going into 2nd and 3rd. It does not slip if I shift manualy through the gears. I know
honda has a recall but was wonding if the water has something to do with it. No water in the trans and I have changed the fluid. TSU possibly or other sensor? Well one can hope think I'm stuck putting a new trans in. Any thoughts???
How many GoHonda wrote:

==================================== How many times did you drain-n-fill the tranny, and what did you replace the fluid with?
'Curly'
I took it to Jiffy lube were they flushed the fluid. I have google since on this and guess it wasn't such a good thing and I'm not sure what they put in.

Did the problem start before or after the flush?
Some chains do a courtesy wall job. That is, they park it against the wall and don't actually do the service. The charge is the same and it is a better deal for everybody.

So undo it as quickly as possible.
The way to undo it is to drain, fill, drive, drain, fill drive through several cycles. Use ONLY Honda fluid.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

I agree that this is a potential solution to the problem but what of the underlying problem? That is, the idiots at Jiffy Screw who peddle this crap, telling you they know best what your car needs, and then CAUSING the problem through improper service?
Seems to me one would have a legal course of action against them and perhaps, if more availed themselves of the possible legal remedies, they'd stop this crap.
I admit to using Jiffy and the like for oil changes ONLY. I maintain my cars well and every time I go into one of these places they have "recommendations"
Air cleaner is clogged up (when I installed a new one <4,000 miles previous and it's just dirty enough to be seen as used), "GM recommends a transmission fluid change every 27,000 miles. When did you last change the fluid?" (This was 14,000 miles after GM installed a remanufactured Goodwrench tranny), and so it goes.
Thanks for the help I will drain fill drive, drain fill drive, drain fill drive. I will post the results....Thanks Again
And only use Honda fluid!
Then, when the problem is fixed, go to JL and demand your money back.
G-Man

Well while at JL they said there was no drain plug for the trans and I had a choice of draining through the dip stick (via pump and replace) or do the flush hmmm.. The drain plug could not be more obvious at the lowest point of the trans. I pulled the plug and it was coated whith a pure black sludge. The first half of the drain was very dark almost a pure black then toward the last quart or so the fluid began to look red. Not sure if they changed anything....
GoHonda wrote:

almost certainly not! apart from the fact that they ripped you, that's a good thing!
bottom line, while use of non-honda fluid definitely affects shift quality big time, it does not in my experience cause the transmission to slip - just shift like someone slammed a door in your face. if your transmission is slipping, it's either a control solenoid [unlikely but possible] or something is fouled up. black sludge in the fluid indicates the latter. call honda usa's national customer support line tomorrow and see what they say. there was a huge recall on these transmissions and you may be covered.
On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 14:58:16 -0800, jim beam

And after that, file a complaint against JL with the Attorney General.
Well performed the first drain and refill and it looks promising. It shifted much better, the slip from 1st to 2nd has cleared up. Still have a slip going from 2nd to 3rd but much better about a 50% improvement. I drove it about 10 miles and now I'm draining the trans again will refill tomorrow and repeat two more times. Looks promising so far. Thanks for all the help and advice. I will post the final results....
GoHonda wrote:

another thought, if the transmission really is slipping, i.e. the clutches aren't holding, you will get a code from the ecu. the 2001 has sensors on the input and output shafts to detect speed anomalies, and therefore slippage.
Thanks Jim I will check the codes....

You bought a car that was salvaged , (cleaned up) from flood damage. Got a transmission problem--Wow, that's a surprise. Then you compound it all by bringing it in to a Jiffy Lube. And then you post here asking for anyone's thoughts. Amazing!!!!