2001 Civic EX Shift Linkage Lubrication

My 5-speed shifter is getting kind of squeaky and it seems like it needs lubrication in the area under the shift lever boot. How do I access this area ? Do I need to
pull the console ? Is it accessible from beneath the car ? Does the shifter boot some how come off so that it can be lifted up ?
Chief snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:6c357bc4-62f0-4df6-8ed5-bc3e888a91b0@ 26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com:

The cable ends require to be greased where they attach to the shift lever mechanism. Evidently the grease eventually wears off.
Looks like this is done from the inside of the car, after removal of the trim panels.
Removal of the trim is very tricky. I strongly recommend you purchase a shop manual, which outlines the procedure in great detail. Try eBay or www.helminc.com
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ